Sticky Log Date

MrGigabyte

Question

I frequently have to log caches a day or so after I find them. When I create a log in Cachly, it use the current date. I can change the date for that log, but when I then log another cache, it reverts back to the current date. Geocaching.com date selection is sticky. That is, it keeps whatever date you previously selected until yo change it. Can this same sticky date feature please be added to Cachly?

16 answers to this question

I've had that problem and contemplated asking for the feature but held back trying to think of a good way to not have the "sticky" date last longer than desired. My best idea at this time is some sort of time-limited sticky date where it would either silently revert to current date after a fixed period where no logs are submitted or do so with a warning asking you if you want to continue with a sticky date for longer. 

That's why it would need to be explicitly turned on so folks should not stumble into it. It should only be sticky for say 10 minutes of no further logging. Logging again would reset the 10 minute deadman timer. That would allow working through a logging backlog and reduce the risk of forgetting to turn it off. The date line on the logging screen could have red text or background when in sticky mode and an action to turn it off.

I assume the clock would not advance in sticky mode although I guess it could if having all logs happen in the same second was a problem. 

If I am not logging on the run then I just create a blank log and save it. Then when I get back to base I can go and edit each log and then submit them. 

If you are using Cachly to find the cache it is very easy to tap "log cache" and "save" and then move on to the next cache. 

What set of circumstances require you to log using cachly at a later date?  Do you record the caches on paper?

2 hours ago, rragan said:

It is not common for me but when I did a Power Trail in Yuma, I had a printed checklist for very fast bookkeeping of Found.  I later logged the 150+ Finds when I got home. 

That could be a reason for logging after the fact. We also did 150 in a day of a spreadsheet but did the logging through GSAK. 

Now that I have Cachly I still think a "Log cache" and "Save" while walking to the car will be my next method. 

I typically always field log on the way from one cache to another or back to the car. I don't like having homework. Dictation and templates allow for reasonable logs.

When you are the runner on a power trail, after finding one, dropping the previous one, dashing back to car while opening the new one, stamping it and closing back up and marking the paper you are at the next min distance cache leaping out of the car. No time for any phone logging as well. But those are exceptions. 

I later wrote a script that generates a file suitable to upload as a draft to the web site. Then it is only two clicks to log each draft. So there can be alternatives to doing such bulk logging from Cachly. 

On 4/21/2018 at 2:29 AM, rragan said:

When the keyboard is up, tap the microphone to the left of the space bar and start talking. Note: it thinks "cache" is cash. Geocache as a word works fine. 

Aha. I use the SwiftKey keyboard with no microphone. Will have to swap back when caching. 

Back on topic...  I have several astronomy apps that allow you to set date and time. They have the scroll wheels as Cachly does, but they also have a [TODAY] button on the same screen. When the date set is the current date, the button is dimmed and inactive. If you change the date, the button becomes active.   This would seem to do the trick in this cace as well.