Having to pay again for the new version?

BassXX

Hello there,

I bought offline maps in the old Cachly version, so I cannot use it in the new version now?

shouldn’t users who have paid for it get at least the chance to continue use offline maps for some time?

I kinda feel frustrated since that means my former payment is now obsolete. 

I understand that a subscription model is more profitable for the developers, but shouldn’t long term users like me be included in at least a transfer period or something so they can adapt to the new model?

it was quite abrupt for me. Since the update all my usability is gone without any warning. 

Thanks and regards 

Any offline maps you already had downloaded onto your device are still available. 

The expense of maintaining the maps (generating and the download costs) have required this in order for the developer to continue to support us and the product. The annual cost is $5 in the US and should be similar in other regions. 

Yop, they screwed us pretty well with offline maps. Personally I am not willing to pay twice for the very same thing. Next year they will come with download limits or similar limitations and hide it behind more money. Nope. The trust has been broken. It's time to say good bye. Especially when a new app is coming to iOS. 

$5 (USD) per year. You spent more of you time telling others you don't want to pay. I'm moving on, but I'd be interested in what application you pick to use that provides the same features and cost less. Let me know. 

Yeah but here in Europe - I travel between countries quite often. However my phone has not the Storage Space to keep 6+ offline maps. So I always deleted unused maps and then redownloaded them when needed. Now suddenly I am stuck.

At least it would be nice to have been allowed to re-download already downloaded maps or something. It is quite disappointing

No Communication was made. I was just suddenly forced into buying a annual subscription one day.

Moreover, that means a new user who downloads Cachly today has an advantage over me, since he did not have to pay in the past to get the same features.

I feel kinda betrayed, sorry 

On March 18, this was posted to Facebook, far and away the most active place for discussing Cachly - https://www.facebook.com/share/p/v9i5QJRPvmtyCrRN/?mibextid=K35XfP

Betrayed? It is $5!! You didn’t get $5 worth of value since you purchased? 

I’m not sure where you are located and how things work in your region but I could get a new iphone from my cell carrier if I switched to their service now but I can’t, as an existing customer for 15 years of loyal service paying $200/mo get anything free. $2500/ year * 15 years = $37k paid and I don’t get anything yet someone new that paid them nothing gets a free phone . Hmmmm  .

The developer worked on this release for 2 years to add all the new features. During those 2 years it cost him tens of thousands of dollars in keeping the maps updated and the fees to allow the downloads you enjoyed. We are talking about $5 as your cost per year to try and help make it less of a burden on the developer who does this for us to have the best app to use in this hobby you probably spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a year. It’s really absurd we are even having this discussion. 

It is absurd how aggressively you reply to a question/complaint I made.

Even if I stop using the offline maps altogether - your OSM maps integration won’t even work properly! It stops displaying anything at a certain zoom level.

so instead accusing me of how greedy I am, how about you fixing at least the free features in you App first?

with this rude treatment in the forum community, you don’t even care about me continue using the app…

I’m not the developer. I’m just another Cachly user that finds the product useful and crazy inexpensive for what it provides. 

You spend more on a liter of fuel to drive to a cache then to get a year of benefits from this product and make it so that the developer can sustain ongoing development. Seems crazy that you don’t pay the small annual fee and move on. 

I’m not the developer either. I do know however the change was not made for profits but for revenue. Running the offline map servers and paying for cloud storage is expensive. The developer either need to have the offline maps pay for themselves or he would likely chose to shut Cachly down. Then you would have no new offline maps either. 

Hi @BassXX. I am sorry that you feel cheated about the new subscription model. As others said, it was done out of necessity because Cachly was losing money on the great cost of offline maps and the pay once model was not paying for the infrastructure costs. 

Shoot me off an email at support@cach.ly and we will make it right. Hope you have a good day.

Another voice in support of the developer.   I paid for the cachly app early on (2017).  I paid for map downloads (2019).  I received tremendous value in return for those purchases of relatively trivial amounts.  I've actually been wondering how Nic can continue his excellent support of this app which I use daily, without additional revenue.  So I welcome being able to help via the new subscription.  The $15/year pro subscription is a no-brainer in my mind, even though I won't be using some of the included features.  The $5/year map subscription is even more of a value.  I love what cachly helps me do and want it to continue!