Purge Logs

Bumble

Question

One thing I find helpful since I have a bunch of offline lists in Cachly,  is keeping the amount of logs down in each to a minimum. Seems to help performance wise plus keeps the file size down a bunch, probably related I’d assume. Find myself exporting then reimporting a gpx file from Cachly to GSAK back to Cachly to achieve this task & would love to keep it all within Cachly. An option like purge logs greater then recent # or by date would be great, but even just purge all logs would be perfect! Rarely need a log but even when I do, recent few are almost always sufficient.

12 answers to this question

Great! :D 

I’d say either would be a much welcome addition & save me a bunch of time! I honestly keep as few logs as possible & just refresh if I need some, but can see usefulness of keeping the latest 5 or a date selector for logs within last month etc... Really unless someone else chimes in, I’d go with what you think would be most useful to fellow users.

36 minutes ago, rragan said:

Last 5 would be a good default with option for more 

I as agree. I'd rather have a number than a date based purge. In NYC the last five logs might be today, but in the country it might be be two years ago (granted then there is no real reason to purge them). 

Just now, Nic Hubbard said:

I have seen large lists contain well over 500k logs, and each log itself might contain image data. Removing this would likely speed up fetching and loading of offline lists.

No I meant if a cache only gets five logs in two years then the number of logs wouldn't get big -- humor that didn't pass through the web properly.  I totally agree that the purge option is a good idea. 

On 6/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, Vasco Galvao said:

It would be a really nice tweak... please considere this ideia... It would speed up all my offline lists. I have more than 500k logs for 5000 geocaches, it’s a lot!!

In the meantime, if you are a Windows user, you could use GSAK to do this.  Export your lists at GPX files and open them in GSAK.  Purge the logs and re-import.  Of course if you use multiple highlight colors you would lose that if you deleted your lists before import.