Offline list refresh

Kyzabra

17 hours ago, Kyzabra said:

My database of 11000 caches is taking forever to refresh, even on basic data, and I'm not sure if it runs once the screen locks. 

This sounds like a very bad idea. Reason being, only 50 caches can be returned at a time from the API. That means you will need to make 220 API requests which is going to take a very long time with only 30 allowed per 60 seconds.

If I were you, I would break that up into smaller lists.

5 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

This sounds like a very bad idea. Reason being, only 50 caches can be returned at a time from the API. That means you will need to make 220 API requests which is going to take a very long time with only 30 allowed per 60 seconds.

If I were you, I would break that up into smaller lists.

Hmmm, not really practical Nic. The idea of having a single database is to keep everything together, Any ideas for keeping it up to date? I hate refering back to GeoSphere but it was something that is available there. Do they handle it in a different way? I can do a refresh on the same database there in a few minutes.When I tested again this morning, it paused at 1400 caches. 

I was going to just download PQs each time and re-merge them but this doesnt then update any caches that have been archived.

15 minutes ago, Kyzabra said:

Hmmm, not really practical Nic. The idea of having a single database is to keep everything together, Any ideas for keeping it up to date? I hate refering back to GeoSphere but it was something that is available there. Do they handle it in a different way? I can do a refresh on the same database there in a few minutes.When I tested again this morning, it paused at 1400 caches. 

I was going to just download PQs each time and re-merge them but this doesnt then update any caches that have been archived.

Just to get an idea of how people use large lists like this, can I ask a few questions? These are in no way meant to question how you use Cachly, I just want to better understand use cases.

1. Why do you need to keep 11,000 caches up to date?
  2. Why do you need to keep all 11,000 caches on a device that could be lost?
  3. What data in these caches is most important to have updated?
  4. In Geosphere were you just updating status of the 11,000 caches?

Thanks! 

1. Why do you need to keep 11,000 caches up to date?     I live in a country where there are only 14000 caches. Mobile coverage is bad and spotty. I am retired and we take trips at short notice. Far easier to have all the caches in my phone. 
  2. Why do you need to keep all 11,000 caches on a device that could be lost? The 14000 list can be reconstructed by downloading 15 pocket queries. 
  3. What data in these caches is most important to have updated? Status, do I can delete archived caches and recognise which caches have been found. 
  4. In Geosphere were you just updating status of the 11,000. Yes 

23 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Just to get an idea of how people use large lists like this, can I ask a few questions? These are in no way meant to question how you use Cachly, I just want to better understand use cases.

1. Why do you need to keep 11,000 caches up to date?
  2. Why do you need to keep all 11,000 caches on a device that could be lost?
  3. What data in these caches is most important to have updated?
  4. In Geosphere were you just updating status of the 11,000 caches?

Thanks! 

Hi Nic, 

1. I live in a state with 12,000 caches and many areas of zero reception. As I travel a fair bit, I often have the opportunity to cache on a whim in a "random" location. I also travel interstate and face the same issues. So while I have an active list of 11,000, I also have another 10-15,000 on my phone which is updated just prior to travel. All done via PQs.

2. The lists are generated out of PQs so if I was to lose my device, it wouldnt be hard to replicate. I also back up the custom lists I make to the cloud regularly as well.

3. For me, the status of the cache and the recent logs. I dont download images. 

4. In geosphere, I was doing a full data refresh.

I think something to take into account is that i (and many others) use our geocaching app more than to just find a cache. We could do that (poorly) with the official app. We use cachly (and in the past geosphere), as a caching tool. Whether its helping people with a PAF, comparing caches for future trips,  placing caches, searching for a specific cache, the uses are wide and varied. In these days of mobility, many people dont have time, or arent inclined, to sit in front of a computer, be it GSAK, or Project-GC. I am not saying that my caching app needs to do everything that those programs do, but most of what we do can be done through the use of lists and filters.