Live Offline Lists

rragan

Question

The geocaching.com new search creates a bookmarkable URL that can be used to repeat the search at a future time. I was listening to GeoGearHeads Show #285 and folks were lamenting a LIVE update for offline searches like PQs which set me to thinking about what a LIVE offline list might look like.

The crux is being able to have a repeatable search over a set of criteria and a well-defined area to pick up new caches since the last date the search was done. Plain old updating would take care of the existing list members. I would expect to have to mark a LIVE list as such vs an ordinary one. Creating the offline list from a LIVE search seems the easiest way to get one -- capture the search criteria and either the region if one is specified or the area defined by the MAP view. I'm not sure how flexible the API is for defining a region but I suspect there is a limit on total area it can be when there is no state/region/country given. This could pose a challenge or a limitation. The other oddity would be a LIVE search only returns some of the caches in an area and you must repeat to get more (unlike a PQ which gets them all I believe). Maybe specifying the search to be LIVE would retrieve all caches behind the scenes -- a tricky bit this.

Once created the list would have the usual offline filtering abilities.

4 answers to this question

Yes, that's the idea and what folks on the podcast were wanting. I could see the utility. I get notification mails of new caches but don't always remember to add them to my Daily list. After awhile, a fresh live search usually turns up several that got lost in the shuffle. For folks not getting notifications, I can see it would be even worse.