Personal Notes and corrected coordinates

ShammyLevva

Question

Project-GC, c:geo and others all have option to read corrected coordinates from personal notes. Thus many users have got LOTS of corrected coordinates in a personal note rather than in the corrected coordinates field. Would it be possible when at the point when a cache's full details are retrieved to have an option to update corrected coordinates if coords are detected in the personal note. The regex in the coordinates module could be used to detect the coords in a personal note. 

NB. It could auto skip the check of personal note if the cache already had corrected coordinates. Thus to the user as they look at a caches details or download an offline list with full details then the corrected coordinates field could be auto updated to reflect the personal note they have stored transparently to the user. It would make Cachly appear to just intelligently find the corrected coordinates and display the icon accordingly.

3 answers to this question

If this was added, I would want an option to globally disable it. I often have notes in progress with coordinates in them that are NOT the actual corrected coords because I haven't solved the puzzle correctly yet. I would not want Cachly to assume that any coords in my notes are definitely the corrected ones. If this were an optional setting, would you want coordinates detected in the personal cache note to be saved as a corrected coordinate waypoint which would filter back as corrected coords to geocaching.com?

See http://www.cach.ly/support/index.php?/topic/1070-how-to-use-coordinates-in-personal-cache-note/ for a similar discussion. 

An option until a more automated solution is considered, would be to go to https://project-gc.com/Profile/SolvedMysteries and add any filter you want such as filtering out found caches, and start updating the corrected coordinate data field. 

Another option, if you are a GSAK user, is to investigate if the corrected coords you have in the cache note are or can be put to another field in GSAK and then run one of several macros that would update the corrected coordinates on gc.com, which of course would then be reflected in Cachly. 

Now that GC has mostly resolved the corrected coordinate mash-up, folks should move to what should now be universally supported. The solutions used by GSAK, PGC and older apps are hacks implemented before things were a bit more consistent. GSAK, PGC and other apps are supporting the official method so folks just need to get that step done. 

I'd be very happy with just the following:  when I choose to navigate to a cache that has no corrected coordinates but appears to have coordinates in the cache note, pop a dialog asking if I want to establish Corrected coordinates and go to them.  This takes the worst of the pain away of going to the wrong place and searching.