Jump to content
Buckshot/MamaLlama

Saving user settings

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am new to cachly and thus far I have enjoyed all the features it provides.  There is a couple of issues that I have experienced that I was curious about and after perusing the forum have been able to get one of them answered (frequent compass calibration).  The other one, however, has not been answered through perusal of the forums, so hopefully I can get an answer by posting and hopefully help anyone with the same question later on.

The other issue is this:  How do I save user settings or is it even possible?  Living in the U.S. and preferring Imperial measurement, I deselect the "use Metric" option as well as whichever other options on the settings screen.  However, if I close the app or if it has been open for some time the settings will reset to the default options.  While it may or may not be a minor inconvenience, it has caused a bit of confusion when I have not been paying attention and it defaulted back while I was unaware.

Any help or explanation would be much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Settings defaults are saved automatically. When in Cachly are you seeing the metric setting reverted?

Are other Settings being revert to defaults?

Yes.  Every time I change any of the settings, they will all revert to the default setting after the app has been closed and then reopened.  I have even had this happen when the app has been open for awhile.  If I remember correctly, I noticed it right after one of the times that the compass wanted to recalibrate.  But, it always resets after closing and opening again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Buckshot/MamaLlama said:

Yes.  Every time I change any of the settings, they will all revert to the default setting after the app has been closed and then reopened.  I have even had this happen when the app has been open for awhile.  If I remember correctly, I noticed it right after one of the times that the compass wanted to recalibrate.  But, it always resets after closing and opening again.

Have you changed usernames on geocaching.com? This is the only thing I can think of that could possibly be causing the problem, since saved Settings are per-username.

Can you logout and log back in and see if the issue persists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what I have done thus far.

1) logged out of app, 2) closed app and deleted from iphone, 3) turned iphone off and then back on, 4) installed app and logged back in, 5) turned iphone off and back on to reboot the system again, 6) changed settings and closed app, 7) opened app and check settings to see that they had once again reverted to default settings.  I also logged out and back in without deleting the app.  Still reverts to default.

As to the caching name, it was changed within the first few months after started the account back in 2007.  There has been no change since then or since acquiring the Cachly app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buckshot/MamaLlama said:

This is how it has been since I first downloaded the app and started using it around mid February of this year.

So strange. Very sorry that this issue is happening, we really have never seen it before. 

Do you happen to have a second device to test this on with your same account?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Buckshot/MamaLlama said:

I have not tried that as of yet.  I will try that out when I have a chance and report back here with the outcome.

Are you able to save your map type or your Search Options? These two things are also saved in user defaults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alrighty then,

I have now tried the app on two other devices and the same problem persists on them as well.  

5 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Are you able to save your map type or your Search Options? These two things are also saved in user defaults.

I tried this also and it is the same as the other.  Everything I change away from the default setting reverts back to the default when the app closes and then re-opens.  The app does keep me logged in.

Please know that I do enjoy the app and will continue to use it despite the minor frustration of having to reset my "default settings".  I do sincerely appreciate that you are willing to look into a bug that appears to only be a fluke with one user.  You have a great alternative app to the official app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

@Nic Hubbard:  looks like his/her GC username is the same as here… could the slash be upsetting the prefs?

Very interesting observation! It actually might be causing an issue since we write the prefs to disk and a slash would cause issues with that path. Thanks for noticing this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had trouble with the "/" before on a stats ranking page once before several years ago.  I also just noticed that I am having trouble with Project-GC with importing my stats to my profile.  That had not been a problem before.  I am wondering if the "/" is now causing all of these issues.  

If I were to take that symbol out of our name, would changing our name cause a problem with the cachly app, as that had been one of the questions you initially asked?

On 3/20/2017 at 11:52 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

Have you changed usernames on geocaching.com? This is the only thing I can think of that could possibly be causing the problem, since saved Settings are per-username.

Can you logout and log back in and see if the issue persists?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buckshot/MamaLlama said:

If I were to take that symbol out of our name, would changing our name cause a problem with the cachly app, as that had been one of the questions you initially asked?

If you were to change your username and remove the / the only issue is that your hides will still be associated with your old username. This is a geocaching.com issue. In order to hide them from the map you will need to use one of the Search Options for "hide caches from user" and enter your old username. 

Other than this there shouldn't be an issue. You will just need to logout and log back into Cachly with the updated username.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I change our username, I will try this:  I have a friend that we introduced to caching not long ago and will not mind me borrowing their account to test the premise.  I will log out of our account and in with the borrowed account and check to see if the settings keep.  Thanks so much to all of you for the help in figuring this out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buckshot/MamaLlama said:

Before I change our username, I will try this:  I have a friend that we introduced to caching not long ago and will not mind me borrowing their account to test the premise.

Excellent idea. Let me know how it goes. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buckshot/MamaLlama said:

I have had trouble with the "/" before on a stats ranking page once before several years ago.  I also just noticed that I am having trouble with Project-GC with importing my stats to my profile.  That had not been a problem before.  I am wondering if the "/" is now causing all of these issues.

GC.com is surprisingly permissive in what they allow in usernames.

You'll notice a slash is used to delimit parts of a URL, and it also underpins iOS.  While programs should 'escape' the slash so it doesn't cause problems, you may well find issues in the real world because that isn't the case.

A hyphen would be a safer option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barefootguru said:

GC.com is surprisingly permissive in what they allow in usernames.

You'll notice a slash is used to delimit parts of a URL, and it also underpins iOS.  While programs should 'escape' the slash so it doesn't cause problems, you may well find issues in the real world because that isn't the case.

A hyphen would be a safer option.

Recently I encountered a website I just could not log into any longer. I tried over and over but would get URL errors. I checked and found that my password contained a slash (I use random characters for most passwords).  I reset my password and generated one without the slash and the problems went away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy to report that the problem has been resolved.  The culprit was indeed the / and now that it is removed from our username everything is working as it should.  I tested with a friends account and everything worked as it should.  Then after changing our name to remove the slash, I logged back in and tested it.  All is right with the world again.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buckshot/MamaLlama said:

I am happy to report that the problem has been resolved.  The culprit was indeed the / and now that it is removed from our username everything is working as it should.  I tested with a friends account and everything worked as it should.  Then after changing our name to remove the slash, I logged back in and tested it.  All is right with the world again.  Thanks again for all of your help!

So glad to hear that it worked! I will make sure to fix the slash in the username issue in 2.1!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×