Map Scroll, auto load caches

fbingha

Is there a way to have the map auto load caches in place of that refresh button?

You know, how the geocaching app does it. As I scroll around an area, zoomed in, I dislike needing to press the refresh icon as I scroll around.

When I release the scroll you can submit an api request to retrieve the caches for the given map space on the screen. 

This is a feature that we worked to develop about 6 months ago, but realized that the API just wasn't suited to do this. Here is why:

• Official Geocaching app uses private API to load up to 500 caches at a time to fill the map, we can only request 50
  • API is limited to 30 requests per 60 seconds. If you have already used up some of these requests (submitting logs, other map requests, etc) you will have fewer than 30.
  • Users are limited to 10,000 "lite" caches per day which is what is loaded on the map. This limit could be hit and then users could no longer load caches.
  • Moving the map quickly would use up many requests, even if we only called the API when you stopped moving the map.
  • The user experience suffered because you would use up all allowed requests and get an error, then have to wait until 60 seconds was up.

I am willing to revisit this in the future, but at the time when developing this feature it just didn't work very well because of the API limitations.