Cachly waypoint gpx file fails to import into GSAK

PlasmaWave

gpx file exported from a Cachly offline list of waypoints used for (driving) navigation fails to import into GSAK - the wp's were originally imported into Cachly from a GSAK generated gpx file, then additional wp's added as "caches". Trying to import the file with additions back into the GSAK db.

The Cachly exported gpx file successfully loads into Memory Map ... then if exported as a M-M gpx will import normally into GSAK. This is a workaround but loses the original detailed format.

GSAK error message: "This file does not pass XML validation and will be ignored C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\gsak\temp\zip\CACHLY~1.GPX:1151:26: not well-formed (Error number: 3)"

GSAK error message for Cachly gpx file.jpg

On 11/20/2021 at 11:35 PM, PlasmaWave said:

gpx file exported from a Cachly offline list of waypoints

Are these waypoints that you created as caches?

On 11/20/2021 at 11:35 PM, PlasmaWave said:

GSAK error message: "This file does not pass XML validation and will be ignored C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\gsak\temp\zip\CACHLY~1.GPX:1151:26: not well-formed (Error number: 3)"

Have you looked in the file a line 1151 to see if there is anything strange?

As mentioned before, can you please send the file to support@cach.ly? Thanks.

Hi Nic,

I did open the gpx file in Notepad but couldn't see anything obvious, but I am not a real programmer ... just an amateur dabbler. No line numbers showing in Notepad so imported the Notepad data into Excel and added row numbers - nothing at row 1151 that I can see looks odd. The gpx file imports OK into memory Map, so is not corrupted, but seems that GSAK doesn't like it's format.

Re the 'problem' gpx file exported from Cachly - the 'waypoints' were NOT created as Cachly user geocaches, but originally imported into Cachly via a gpx file from GSAK (wp's were created in Memory Map then exported as a gpx into GSAK for tweaking, before re-exporting as a gpx for Cachly). Overtime I added Cachly waypoints as user geocaches to that offline list and wanted to update the GSAK database, hence the reason for exporting from Cachly.

I tried removing the user created geocaches from Cachly then exported a gpx ... with no user created geocache waypoints involved, the GSAK error was the same.

In Cachly I then created a few user geocache waypoints in a separate offline list, then exported as a gpx ... that file imported into GSAK perfectly normally.

Have e-mailed three files:

1. Cachly exported waypoint gpx file that GSAK fails to import - the waypoints were originally successfully imported into Cachly from a GSAK gpx file

2. Example of gpx file created by GSAK, used as the source for the Cachly offline wp list (I use these wp's for Google Map Navigation when driving)

3. gpx export file for six Cachly user created geocache waypoints from a separate offline list - this gpx loads into GSAK successfully

Many thanks for your quick response.

I have found the issue:

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 7.39.26 AM.png

XML/GPX files cannot have & without being changed to &amp;. This is done for almost all the fields in Cachly for a GPX export, but the <name> field normally contains the GC Code. However, in your case it seems that GSAK inserted the Waypoint name into that field.

For now, you can change the & to &amp; in the file, and I will put in a fix for our 7.0.7 version of Cachly.

Looks that other special characters might also be affected. In GSAK I replaced all “&” in the name code field and retested, but GSAK gave same error for a higher line number but it’s difficult for me in Notepad to define exactly where specific line numbers are located … guess you need certain software to open the gpx file and see line numbers.

Could your mod include any other special characters that might be affected?

For now, I’ll go through my GSAK DB name code field and remove all special characters and probably the spaces.

Thanks again.

PS: when the Memory Map gpx data was originally imported into GSAK, because there was no GC code it used the first so many characters of the wp name … hence the source of “&” and other special characters

1 hour ago, PlasmaWave said:

when the Memory Map gpx data was originally imported into GSAK, because there was no GC code it used the first so many characters of the wp name … hence the source of “&” and other special characters

This is where all the issues came from, because normally the GC code would normally never have special characters. Will make sure to account for this.

Thanks again Nic ... I tried removing all special characters and spaces (for good measure) from my GSAK 'Navigation WP' database 'Code' field and now the Cachly exported version loads into GSAK perfectly. Another step in my learning process, courtesy of you & Cachly.

Also found that 'Notepad++' opens gpx files properly, so I can now see line numbers etc.