James

Map refresh

Question

The only reason I still have the main geocaching app on my phone is when planning routes I can pan around on the map and as you pan, the map updates with more geocaches. On Cachly you have to keep refreshing the map to load more. I do know that you can increase the amount visible, but would it be possible to have the map auto-refresh like the geocaching official app does? 

Thanks,

James.

4 answers to this question

One of the big differences here is that the official app can load 500 caches on the map at a time, and we have a max of 100. The official app also does not have a daily limit on number of caches loaded, but partner apps do.

Because of these two limitations, I have been hesitant to include this feature. However, I get the request more and more so I am looking into how I can adequately warn the user of the inherent risks when using a live loading map. That being said, I am only investigating the possibility at this point and don't have it planned for a release.

Coming to Cachly from L4C, one of the first differences I noticed was the 'live' map needed refreshing manually. When you are located in a specific area (usual conditions), this is perfectly fine and it is useful to be able to clear the map then repopulate. Not so convenient however when driving/travelling.

L4C 'live' feature populates the map on a 'rolling' basis (similar to the Official App), which I used regularly when driving so I could see what caches were available nearby on the route. I hadn't realised there was a daily limit on TP partner apps, BUT have never had any problems with L4C reaching a limit whilst using the 'rolling' live feature when traveling.

It would be great to have the choice of automatic refresh/repoipulate (in addition to present manual) if this could be added to Cachly.

7 hours ago, PlasmaWave said:

It would be great to have the choice of automatic refresh/repoipulate (in addition to present manual) if this could be added to Cachly.

Thanks for the suggestion!

On 3/22/2021 at 12:13 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

One of the big differences here is that the official app can load 500 caches on the map at a time, and we have a max of 100. The official app also does not have a daily limit on number of caches loaded, but partner apps do.

Because of these two limitations, I have been hesitant to include this feature. However, I get the request more and more so I am looking into how I can adequately warn the user of the inherent risks when using a live loading map. That being said, I am only investigating the possibility at this point and don't have it planned for a release.

I'm really looking forward to this feature!