Importing from Dropbox - size limitation

Sailaboat

Hey Nic,

Any guess as to the size limitation for importing a GPX file from dropbox?  I was trying to load 1,800 caches at about 53 Mbyte, and it errored out.  I trimmed the file down to 50 caches, and it loaded.  Is it a trial and error proposition or do you have a guideline for approximate size?

Thanks.

Any ETA for Version 2?

When you say that it "errored out", what do you mean? In the current 1.1.7 version of Cachly there is a memory issue that prevents our importer from importing large GPX files. So, it depends on what iPhone you have since they have different memory sizes (RAM not disk space).

In 2.0 we have tested importing over 10k caches with success, but we are working on making that limit even higher.

As for the 2.0 release date, I can't say yet. We are still working hard to complete it. :)

Hey Nic,

Cachly 1.1.7 (1)

iOS 9.3.5

iPhone 5S - 64 Gbyte

"errored out" - processes the GPX file, I see the Geocaches, waypoints, images, trackables figures updating, and then "poof" Cachly disappears.  When I look at the running apps, Cachly is still running.  It's in on-line mode, and displaying about 40 - 50 caches completely unrelated to what was in the GPX file, e.g. an archived event was displayed.  That archived event was not in the inbound GPX file.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, nastrud said:

It happened to me the same problem this weekend. I tried to import a GPX with +/- 1500 caches of 70 Mbyte, and the app closed when it started importing.

Looking forward for v. 2.0!! :wub:

Could you contact Support through the app and send the GPX file so we can make sure to test it in 2.0?

Hey Nic,

Your question creates a paradox.  As I'm not able to import the GPX file into Cachly (the app abends while processing the GPX file), I'm not able to forward the file from Cachly.

I can definitely forward the file, that's not an issue.  Where would you like it sent?

I can't attach it to this e-mail as it's 52.893 MB, the notice on this post indicates a max size of 48.83.

Cachly abended when it tried to process the images.

Cheers,

Mark

9 minutes ago, Sailaboat said:

Hey Nic,

Your question creates a paradox.  As I'm not able to import the GPX file into Cachly (the app abends while processing the GPX file), I'm not able to forward the file from Cachly.

I can definitely forward the file, that's not an issue.  Where would you like it sent?

I can't attach it to this e-mail as it's 52.893 MB, the notice on this post indicates a max size of 48.83.

Cachly abended when it tried to process the images.

Cheers,

Mark

Can you zip the file and send to support@cach.ly? If not, could you share the file URL through dropbox to that same email address?

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with the new V2 version.  Importing a 43Mb GPX file from Dropbox (7606 caches) of all the caches within 100Km of my home location.

I can import the GPX fine if I don't try to get the images, but with the "Save Images" selected, it starts the import, it gets to image 440ish of around 3400 and the app completely crashes..

21 minutes ago, AnyMules said:

I had a similar issue with the new V2 version.  Importing a 43Mb GPX file from Dropbox (7606 caches) of all the caches within 100Km of my home location.

I can import the GPX fine if I don't try to get the images, but with the "Save Images" selected, it starts the import, it gets to image 440ish of around 3400 and the app completely crashes..

Can you send me the GPX file?

Hey Nic,

I'm running Cachly 2.0.1 (2)

iOS 9.3.5

iPhone 5s (Cachly seems to think it's iPhone6,1)

I just imported a GPX file created by GSAK from my Dropbox.

Geocaches - 1846
Logs - 95,645
Waypoints - 608
Images - 5935
Trackables - 191

GPX file is 55 Mb

It imported relatively quickly.  However, processing the images took well over 10 minutes.

The good news, even though it took quite some time, it didn't crash.

Are the images, imported "net new" with each GPX file processed, or is there a delta mechanism, to import only new images?

Cheers,

Mark

Let me know if you want the GPX file, zipped & sent to support.

1 minute ago, Sailaboat said:

iPhone 5s (Cachly seems to think it's iPhone6,1)

iPhone6,1 is correct. That is how Apple internally labels the iPhone 5s. It doesn't mean it thinks you have an iPhone 6. :)

2 minutes ago, Sailaboat said:

It imported relatively quickly.  However, processing the images took well over 10 minutes.

The good news, even though it took quite some time, it didn't crash.

Are the images, imported "net new" with each GPX file processed, or is there a delta mechanism, to import only new images?

Cheers,

Mark

Let me know if you want the GPX file, zipped & sent to support.

Images are imported new each time you import a GPX file. There is no mechanism to check for duplicates since you are creating a new offline list each time you import.

Yes, please send the GPX to support. Thanks.