New feature: display favorite points in percent %

Attila_G

Question

Hi Nic

Here a little input for a super improvement: Would it be possible to display the favorite points in percent? Especially if you are travelling in a unfamiliar area and don't want to miss the best caches, this would be a very useful function! Of course you should also be able to filter or sort by percentage.
If the % display is output via the API, I guess it would be relatively easy to implement such a function.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure that percentage is the best metric when planning a trip and looking for favorited caches.  I have a cache with 100% favorites, but there have only been 4 finders so far.  I think cachers would rather look for my cache that has 67 favorite points (but only 26%).  

15 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

The API doesn't include % data sadly. Do you know what the calculation is to figure out the %? 

Yes, I just see in the API documentation that this value Favo-% does not exist. :(

The value is basically calculated like this:
Number of favorite points divided by number of premium member logs. Basic member logs do not count.

12 hours ago, hidegoseek said:

I'm not sure that percentage is the best metric when planning a trip and looking for favorited caches.  I have a cache with 100% favorites, but there have only been 4 finders so far.  I think cachers would rather look for my cache that has 67 favorite points (but only 26%).  

@hidegoseek I don't agree. I prefer a cache with 20 finds and 90% FP over one with 250 FP but 1000 finds. Especially in Germany there are a lot of caches with hundreds or thousands of FP, but in % there is often a low number. In addition: activating two filters: "> 100 FP" and "> 50% FP" or something similar would give you all the possibilties.

13 hours ago, hidegoseek said:

You might prefer the absolute count of favs, but agree with Attila_G that for many cachers it would be great to have the % value available. I also prefer the % value.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:07 AM, Attila_G said:

The value is basically calculated like this:
Number of favorite points divided by number of premium member logs. Basic member logs do not count.

I wonder how HQ keeps track of premium member logs.  For example, suppose a premium member favorites a cache but then drops out of geocaching and is no longer a premium member.  Would his favorite point still be counted as a premium member log?  

On 5/22/2019 at 1:07 AM, Attila_G said:

Especially in Germany there are a lot of caches with hundreds or thousands of FP, but in % there is often a low number. In addition: activating two filters: "> 100 FP" and "> 50% FP" or something similar would give you all the possibilties.

I agree that would be the best of both worlds.   That said, as I started to investigate favorite points, percentages, etc. I remembered that Project-gc calculates a "Wilson Score" that utilizes favorite points and the number of premium member logs on a cache.  I don't fully understand the Bernoulli parameter math, but I'm going to play around with Wilson scores some more.