Jump to content
  • 1
Attila_G

New feature: display favorite points in percent %

Question

Hi Nic

Here a little input for a super improvement: Would it be possible to display the favorite points in percent? Especially if you are travelling in a unfamiliar area and don't want to miss the best caches, this would be a very useful function! Of course you should also be able to filter or sort by percentage.
If the % display is output via the API, I guess it would be relatively easy to implement such a function.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I'm not sure that percentage is the best metric when planning a trip and looking for favorited caches.  I have a cache with 100% favorites, but there have only been 4 finders so far.  I think cachers would rather look for my cache that has 67 favorite points (but only 26%).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

The API doesn't include % data sadly. Do you know what the calculation is to figure out the %? 

Yes, I just see in the API documentation that this value Favo-% does not exist. :(

The value is basically calculated like this:
Number of favorite points divided by number of premium member logs. Basic member logs do not count.

 

12 hours ago, hidegoseek said:

I'm not sure that percentage is the best metric when planning a trip and looking for favorited caches.  I have a cache with 100% favorites, but there have only been 4 finders so far.  I think cachers would rather look for my cache that has 67 favorite points (but only 26%).  

@hidegoseek I don't agree. I prefer a cache with 20 finds and 90% FP over one with 250 FP but 1000 finds. Especially in Germany there are a lot of caches with hundreds or thousands of FP, but in % there is often a low number. In addition: activating two filters: "> 100 FP" and "> 50% FP" or something similar would give you all the possibilties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 hours ago, hidegoseek said:

I'm not sure that percentage is the best metric when planning a trip and looking for favorited caches.  I have a cache with 100% favorites, but there have only been 4 finders so far.  I think cachers would rather look for my cache that has 67 favorite points (but only 26%).  

You might prefer the absolute count of favs, but agree with Attila_G that for many cachers it would be great to have the % value available. I also prefer the % value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, Attila_G said:

The value is basically calculated like this:
Number of favorite points divided by number of premium member logs. Basic member logs do not count.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/22/2019 at 1:07 AM, Attila_G said:

The value is basically calculated like this:
Number of favorite points divided by number of premium member logs. Basic member logs do not count.

I wonder how HQ keeps track of premium member logs.  For example, suppose a premium member favorites a cache but then drops out of geocaching and is no longer a premium member.  Would his favorite point still be counted as a premium member log?  

On 5/22/2019 at 1:07 AM, Attila_G said:

Especially in Germany there are a lot of caches with hundreds or thousands of FP, but in % there is often a low number. In addition: activating two filters: "> 100 FP" and "> 50% FP" or something similar would give you all the possibilties.

I agree that would be the best of both worlds.   That said, as I started to investigate favorite points, percentages, etc. I remembered that Project-gc calculates a "Wilson Score" that utilizes favorite points and the number of premium member logs on a cache.  I don't fully understand the Bernoulli parameter math, but I'm going to play around with Wilson scores some more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×