Jump to content
  • 1
DrDaffy

Named color markers/Tags

Question

Cachly 5.0 introduced 20 colors for marking caches. So I have a red marker called 'red', a green marker called 'green' and so on. I started using the different colors (4) and so far I know what color was used for what purpose. But once it becomes more it might be confusing.

What about using them as colored tags with individual names defined by the user and showing both, color and name on the marked cache. This would help to remember why I marked a cache with a certain color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I am so pleased with the coloured highlights in the new update. You would not believe quite how much :wub:.

It was a feature I requested in GeoSphere many years ago and it was knocked back straight away. I requested in Cachly a couple of years ago and it is one of those things that is a game changer in terms of trip planning. I logged on today to request the exact same feature that DrDaffy has asked for - I already have colours assigned for caches of various categories of interest and would like customisable labels to reflect these.

I was so pleased with multi-coloured highlights and the ability to combine lists that it prompted me to leave a 5 star review on the app store and send the developer a hefty tip. Thank you for being so responsive to us end users and it's great news that there are plans afoot for this feature.

Thank you :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, RubyShoos said:

was so pleased with multi-coloured highlights and the ability to combine lists that it prompted me to leave a 5 star review on the app store and send the developer a hefty tip. Thank you for being so responsive to us end users and it's great news that there are plans afoot for this feature.

Thank you!! Happy to add features that are so appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi,

I just had a look on the new named markers. Great improvement, but it's a pity that I can't see the meaning of the color when looking at the marked cach. I have to edit the marker in order to see what the current marker means. That seems very awkward to me.

Also it would be helpful to be able to assign more than one marker.

Best,
David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, DrDaffy said:

I have to edit the marker in order to see what the current marker means. That seems very awkward to me.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

8 hours ago, DrDaffy said:

Also it would be helpful to be able to assign more than one marker.

What do you mean by this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

1.) Meaning of the markers
Starting on the map I see a cache with a black marker, but have no clue what it means (Screenshot1). I open the cache details, see that it's marked with the black marker, but I still have no clue what it means (Screenshot2). In order to get this info I have to edit the marker of this cache (Screenshot3) and finally in the list where I choose the color for this cache I can see the meaning of this marker/color.
At least that's the only way I found.

2.) Multiple markers/tags
I think it would be great if these markers were used like tags and you could assign several tags to a cache. I attached an edited screenshot (Screenshot5), which might make this clearer. On the one hand you can see what the markings/tags mean (see point 1) and on the other hand it shows a cache to which two tags have been assigned.

I hope this make my ideas clearer.

Best,
David

Screenshot1.PNG

Screenshot2.PNG

Screenshot4.PNG

Screenshot3.PNG

Screenshot5.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, DrDaffy said:

Starting on the map I see a cache with a black marker, but have no clue what it means (Screenshot1). I open the cache details, see that it's marked with the black marker, but I still have no clue what it means (Screenshot2). In order to get this info I have to edit the marker of this cache (Screenshot3) and finally in the list where I choose the color for this cache I can see the meaning of this marker/color.
At least that's the only way I found.

Since these are user definable label names it is up to the user to remember what custom names were given.

5 hours ago, DrDaffy said:

I think it would be great if these markers were used like tags and you could assign several tags to a cache. I attached an edited screenshot (Screenshot5), which might make this clearer. On the one hand you can see what the markings/tags mean (see point 1) and on the other hand it shows a cache to which two tags have been assigned.

I do agree this is a nice idea! However at this point it isn't built in a way that could easily accommodate this change.

 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Since these are user definable label names it is up to the user to remember what custom names were given.

To be honest I expected your answer to point 2 :-), but would it be so hard to implement point 1 and show the name of the marking color in the cache details? I think it’s a relativ small change with great effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
33 minutes ago, DrDaffy said:

but would it be so hard to implement point 1 and show the name of the marking color in the cache details?

It would not be hard at all, but I have worked vigorously to design the UI to not be cluttered and I think in this case showing the user definable label would clutter up the interface. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×