GeoohLive features: I want some

rragan

Question

GeoohLive is an Android geocaching app so not direct competition for Cachly. The developer was on the latest CacheAManiacs podcast and did a detailed pass through the features. I summarized them for my Android friends. To save effort, I'm dumping the whole summary here but will annotate it with things I think would benefit Cachly. See my comments in parens after an item  

Geooh Live: Free geocaching app for you Android users out there. Summarized From CacheAManiacs episode: http://cacheamaniacs.com/ggh-271-geooh-i

Interesting/unique features
- Trackable code scanning built into app (iOS has TBScan as a separate app. I don't see gain from integration as this is a quite separate activity)
- view of offline list with found, not found, count etc. with collapsible sections ( extended offline filtering might help with this. Not sure I want to split into sections as I may have other sort criteria plus the filtering going on)
- Download external files to offline list: pocket query, GPX,bookmark list. Set status to "found" internal to app or upload and mark found. Draft log for offline. 
- Uses Live API, unlike c:Geo
- Follows Google Material Design guidelines
- Lists and Maps show if last log was a DNF (vs if my last log on the cache was a DNF. In fact, I would like both but tricky to depict)
- Shows FTF marker if no logs yet (This is cool but not sure how valuable it will be to most people)
- Log templates. Log header and footer from template populate new log being written 
- One by one or batch log upload
- Enter waypoint to offline list or to its own list. Corrected coords show solved location and a waypoint for original location
- County map overlay for US. Shaded if you have a find in that county. Long press to get county details, elevation at that location. 528' radius circles supported (I had thought of asking for this in Cachly earlier but was worried about source for polygons and space it might consume. It would be valuable to me)
- Inside app see route, distance, ETA to cache per Google. Select multiple caches and get optimized route through them. (This seems to use Google features to accomplish. Not sure if IOS can get at it but routing is nice albeit hard)
- Select cache from slide out list and center map to it (at least I would like a selected cache with flyout on Map to move the list view to that cache when I switch tabs and maybe blink it once to grab my eye)
- Integrated Google Street View of location (Oh yes! I have a bookmark in Geosphere for this and use it a lot)
- Hotspot view: identifies areas where lots of caches can be found
- Option to control or disable clustering when there are lots of caches on map
- Multiple turn by turn nav engines including Waze
- Project-GC integration, see profile, see others profile (you have some of this with Friends)
- Messaging to user but does via web page message center since no API (I do this via bookmark in Geosphere. Also email owner)
- Show cache summary for the day, types, indication of any duplicate logs (Handy)

Support unpublished caches. Load GPX with list of caches for an event or rally where those caches are not yet published. Allow all actions except anything that pushes data to the live site until the cache can be determined to be published. 

Support lab cache loading as above paragraph but perform change actions by loading a web view since there is no API. 

1 answer to this question

2 hours ago, rragan said:

(This seems to use Google features to accomplish. Not sure if IOS can get at it but routing is nice albeit hard)

Just a specific note about this. When Cachly first came out we had in-app routing, but quickly realized that giving users the option to use other routing providers was much better. Leaving that function to apps that do it best, and can provide more than we can.

2 hours ago, rragan said:

Option to control or disable clustering when there are lots of caches on map

This has been added to 2.1 already and is in testing. There are also fine grained controls for the clustering params.