Off-line Expectations

Sailaboat

Hey Nic,

I'm into day 2 of using Cachly.  So far so good.  Nice product.

Prior to trying out Cachly I've been using software to load PQ's into an off-line local data base.  This is my "version of the truth".

With the software, I can manipulate the data in very sophisticated ways, augmenting it with User fields, filtering out unwanted caches (e.g. ones that are disabled, or mystery caches which I don't have the solution for, and haven't corrected the coordinates for).

The software interfaces to my GPS unit, and I upload the database to the GPS unit, as well as to my iPhone, which has another piece of software on it.

A philosophical usage question.  Do you ever see Cachly being able to support the offline version of the truth, it will it always be skewed towards the online API world?

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Sailaboat said:

A philosophical usage question.  Do you ever see Cachly being able to support the offline version of the truth, it will it always be skewed towards the online API world?

Thanks for using Cachly!

Have you looked at the option of importing your GPX into Cachly? Or were you meaning something else?

There are many features and enhancements in our upcoming 2.0 version that will likely help with this.

6 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

In the syncing world, 'the truth' means the master copy of the data.  So for caching that's the GS database — not your phone or any other software you run.

I don't understand how you could hold the truth on caches — the GS database is constantly changing from around the world.

This is why, having both worlds, offline then the ability to update that, is what we are shooting for.