Jump to content
rragan

Content of offline cache

Recommended Posts

I got a bunch of caches by search and save to offline list. I was about to head out the door to an area likely to have no cell service when I decided to check -- sure enough offline list caches had no descriptions, hints, etc. So the light search results are just placed in the DB which is fast but not useful if I head off into the woods. I immediately did a full update on the list and all was well later in the woods. 

To my mind, saving offline means I can work completely without a data connection. The default behavior is going to trip me up sometime. One can argue that I have to remember to download offline maps also so why not remember to get full cache data. Since I have the whole state maps offline, that is not an issue  

Maybe I'm stuck in the Geosphere behavior rut where full data is used everywhere and I need to learn new behavior but I'd rather have an option to just get full results on searches. Then the full data would go into the DB and I wouldn't get caught out with missing info in the wild  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rragan said:

To my mind, saving offline means I can work completely without a data connection. The default behavior is going to trip me up sometime. One can argue that I have to remember to download offline maps also so why not remember to get full cache data.

We must have an option to download lite caches so that Regular users are able to use the offline feature. You can choose the Full option and Cachly will remember that option for next time, so you won't have to worry about accidentally downloading lite caches, since Full will be auto-selected for you if you used that last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

We must have an option to download lite caches so that Regular users are able to use the offline feature. You can choose the Full option and Cachly will remember that option for next time, so you won't have to worry about accidentally downloading lite caches, since Full will be auto-selected for you if you used that last.

Ah, would not have guessed that. Does it also apply to live search results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rragan said:

Ah, would not have guessed that. Does it also apply to live search results?

Don't rely on live mode if you're going off the grid:  if Cachly is restarted for any reason, maybe iOS decides it's short of memory, you will lose the live data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barefootguru said:

Don't rely on live mode if you're going off the grid:  if Cachly is restarted for any reason, maybe iOS decides it's short of memory, you will lose the live data.

Guess I'm spoiled. Geosphere puts full data from searches in the DB so even if search results are torpedoed, I can still find them when offline. Maps are another matter in G offline. Whatever is in the cache is it and zooming in/out can easily lose it. Cachly is much better when off the grid and in map handling with offline vector maps. I survived by opening my G caches into Pocket Earth where I have full offline topo maps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nic Hubbard said:

No, it is just in the dialog where you can save your offline list and choose lite or full data.

Pretty sure I have a feature request for a global switch. Seems like that would then apply to both cases if the feature request needs a clarification. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×