highlight attribute in offline database

markens

Questions about behavior of highlight attribute for caches in offline database.  From what I see, the highlight attribute persists in the database even after the cache has been deleted from all offline lists.  And so that same attribute is applied when an affected cache is seen again in an online search, or added to an offline list.  While not expected, this behavior is useful much of the time.  If a highlight needs to be adjusted or removed, it can be done as usual when a cache reappears on a list.

But it would be useful to be able to remove the highlight attribute from all caches in the offline database, to prevent them reappearing again on new searches.  Is it possible to do this?  Other than deleting the app and reinstalling?

Thanks.

19 hours ago, markens said:

From what I see, the highlight attribute persists in the database even after the cache has been deleted from all offline lists.  And so that same attribute is applied when an affected cache is seen again in an online search, or added to an offline list.

This is correct. Highlights are not local changes, they are globals changes that are synced to iCloud for use on all your devices. Since they are not saved in the database, they are used for Live caches. In the same way you can also highlight and online cache and it will be highlighted offline.

19 hours ago, markens said:

But it would be useful to be able to remove the highlight attribute from all caches in the offline database, to prevent them reappearing again on new searches.  Is it possible to do this?  Other than deleting the app and reinstalling?

Yes, you can do this. When viewing an offline list, tap the ... button on the top right and choose Highlight > Remove Highlight > All Caches. You can also go to the More tab then Highlighting where you can remove all highlights from everywhere in the app.

4 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Yes, you can do this. When viewing an offline list, tap the ... button on the top right and choose Highlight > Remove Highlight > All Caches. You can also go to the More tab then Highlighting where you can remove all highlights from everywhere in the app.

I thought I tried this via the offline list ... button, and it only removed highlights from those caches currently in the list.  Does this really remove highlights in other lists as well?  Seems it should just be the current list.

But the other option you mention (More tab) appears to be what I'm looking for, removing highlights across all devices and lists.  It currently shows 643 highlights for me, which is exactly what I want to clear!  I will try this when I'm done with current set of active highlights.

A bit of background: I import caches into offline lists from gsak.  I liberally use the gsak "user flag" method for setting highlight upon importing into cachly.  And I often empty an offline list before importing more caches into it, leaving behind the highlight attribute.  When I load a new set of caches (with different user flag/highlight combinations), the previous highlight attributes reappear on caches I don't want highlighted anymore.

Being able to do a global clear of highlights solves my immediate issue.  But a slight modification of the import process into cachly would make this much easier.  My suggestion:  When importing a gpx file into an offline list, first check to see if the gsak user flag is set for *any* cache in the set.  If so, then that implies that the lack of a user flag is also important.  Therefore, set highlight for caches with the user flag set, and *remove* highlight from caches with the user flag not set.  (If the user flag is not set for any cache in the gpx file, then simply ignore stored highlight attribute as now happens.)  To me, this is expected behavior when using the gsak user flag in this manner.  If you don't want to make this default behavior, perhaps it could be made an option along with recognizing the user flag in the first place.

Thanks!

On 7/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, markens said:

When importing a gpx file into an offline list, first check to see if the gsak user flag is set for *any* cache in the set.  If so, then that implies that the lack of a user flag is also important.  Therefore, set highlight for caches with the user flag set, and *remove* highlight from caches with the user flag not set.

This would cause quite a bit of confusion with users as to why their highlights were removed. I could see there being a specific user setting for this, but currently we don't have plans for that.