Jump to content
DrDaffy

What is the offline map update cycle?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Recently I made changes to the OSM data because I found several "inaccuracies" while caching. This brought up the questions:

  • What is the update cycle for Cachly offline maps
  • Do we get some sort of notification "new map data available"

Best,
David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This depends on which maps you are inquiring about. We have two map servers running:

Every 2 weeks:

  • USA
  • Canada
  • UK
  • Australia
  • Germany
  • South Africa

Longer update cycle, about 2.5 months to complete

  • The rest of the world

 

Notifications are not provided, but you can check the dates that we list for the last refresh when viewing the Premium Offline maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VIP Tom said:

Do the maps update automatically or do we have to manually install the new maps?

Maps do not automatically update as this would be a major overhead cost if all users maps updated all the time.

Updating is up to the user.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Maps do not automatically update as this would be a major overhead cost if all users maps updated all the time.

Updating is up to the user.

Thank you for your prompt response.

My only issue is you cannot see what map version you currently have as there are always ticks beside the maps you have downloaded, whether they are the most up-to-date ones or not. Any chance this could be addressed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VIP Tom said:

My only issue is you cannot see what map version you currently have as there are always ticks beside the maps you have downloaded, whether they are the most up-to-date ones or not. Any chance this could be addressed?

When you view the offline map in the downloads area each one has a date of when the map was last generated. If the date is less than about a month old then it is new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

When you view the offline map in the downloads area each one has a date of when the map was last generated. If the date is less than about a month old then it is new.

I'm using an iPhone 4S with what appears to be the latest version of Cachly that will run on it  [ 3.0.3 (14) ] and just downloaded the latest BC (Canada) offline map for it - it appears much older than 2 weeks (not sure how to display the generation date as described above in this version of Cachly). Is there a solution to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sooke said:

I'm using an iPhone 4S with what appears to be the latest version of Cachly that will run on it  [ 3.0.3 (14) ] and just downloaded the latest BC (Canada) offline map for it - it appears much older than 2 weeks (not sure how to display the generation date as described above in this version of Cachly). Is there a solution to this?

This was in reference to our Premium Offline Maps in our 5.0 version. The maps in very old versions (3.0.3 is over a year old) of Cachly are not updated with the same frequency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nic Hubbard said:

This was in reference to our Premium Offline Maps in our 5.0 version. The maps in very old versions (3.0.3 is over a year old) of Cachly are not updated with the same frequency.

Thanks for the VERY quick reply!

Can you confirm that Cachly 3.0.3 is the latest version that will run on an iPhone 4S? And how frequently are the old maps updated? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sooke said:

Can you confirm that Cachly 3.0.3 is the latest version that will run on an iPhone 4S? And how frequently are the old maps updated? Thanks!

Cachly requires iOS 10, and the iPhone 4s does not allow iOS 10 to be installed, so sadly you are stuck on 3.0.3 unless you have a newer phone.

Old Standard maps are updated about every quarter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Cachly requires iOS 10, and the iPhone 4s does not allow iOS 10 to be installed, so sadly you are stuck on 3.0.3 unless you have a newer phone.

Old Standard maps are updated about every quarter.

Ok - thanks, Nic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×