Newbee questions

TeamPlys

1) how to manage bookmarks

2) how to search cache/personal notes

3) Field notes are saved in the log. I expected it to be personal

4) how to save a log as pending

1. Unfortunately the geocaching API only allows us to add caches to a Bookmark list, but not to delete them. I hope they will add this sometime in the future so that third-party apps like Cachly can use it!

2. This isn't currently possible. Do you mean search for only caches with personal notes?

3. Not sure what you mean. Can you explain this?

4. Just go to the Log this Cache screen and then turn the "Send Log Now" option off. This will allow you to save that log as a pending log.

Hope this helps!

1. Unfortunately the geocaching API only allows us to add caches to a Bookmark list, but not to delete them. I hope they will add this sometime in the future so that third-party apps like Cachly can use it!

2. This isn't currently possible. Do you mean search for only caches with personal notes?

3. Not sure what you mean. Can you explain this?

4. Just go to the Log this Cache screen and then turn the "Send Log Now" option off. This will allow you to save that log as a pending log.

Hope this helps!

2) I would like to find caches with field notes and personal notes in order to finish them.

3) I create a field note in log cache, type: write note, save as field note. It is visible in the public log.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

• 5 weeks later...

This is not easy to discover. I understand it's only a one person experience, but I suspected the feature exists, looked for it in the app and failed to find it. I then searched the web for a long time before eventually stumbling on this thread.

Did you consider putting it on the top level if it is not empty? I can even argue for placing it above the description because that is where it is on the web page. I agree that adding cache note is an uncommon activity and it's OK for it to be hidden under three dots. But, if it is already there, it is usually important. Common example: I solve a puzzle, get a hint in geochecker, copy it into cache note. Quite often, cache owner does not even bother to say "hint in geochecker" in the hint field...

I agree. In our new 2.0 version (currently in beta) Personal Cache note has taken new prominence. First, a new icon is shown on the map callout, list view and cache details view if that cache has a cache note. And, the Cache note has been moved into the list along with Description, Hint, etc. If there already is a cache note it will show a preview of that note.

I think you will be happy with how it works. :)  If you are interested in beta testing it and giving me feedback, just contact support through the app and let us know.

I am happy to see cache note there in the beta version!

I am not crazy about the fact that instead of "a preview of that note" I got directly into the edit mode that popped up the keyboard and ate half the screen - inconvenient with longer notes.

But maybe you meant the first words of the note that fit after the "Cache Note" on the main screen. In my cases, this was never helpful and often looked like a bug: what are those characters do there? I am looking at one cache now, and the line reads:

Cache Note WP1 = N47... >

Not sure this feature is worth the clatter is adds.

Talking about clutter, the distance to the cache is often wrong (zero) and never helpful to me. I see why it is useful in list view, but otherwise...

I'm ok with the cache note approach implemented in 2.0.  I prefer it on the main page vs off the ... menu which took multiple clicks to see whether had I had added anything or not. I'm also ok with it going right to edit mode since cache notes on GC.com are pretty restricted in length with most of mine being a couple sentences at max.

Distance to cache shown next to the coords seems ok to me. I'm not showing 0 in the caches I looked at. It's "as the crow flies" vs any specific route but is what I'd expect. 

10 hours ago, buti-oxa said:

I am happy to see cache note there in the beta version!

I am not crazy about the fact that instead of "a preview of that note" I got directly into the edit mode that popped up the keyboard and ate half the screen - inconvenient with longer notes.

But maybe you meant the first words of the note that fit after the "Cache Note" on the main screen. In my cases, this was never helpful and often looked like a bug: what are those characters do there? I am looking at one cache now, and the line reads:

Cache Note WP1 = N47... >

Not sure this feature is worth the clatter is adds.

Talking about clutter, the distance to the cache is often wrong (zero) and never helpful to me. I see why it is useful in list view, but otherwise...

The major reason you see a preview of the text after the "Cache Note" label is so that you know you have entered text in there. That is the reason. It is a visual way, other than the icon to see the text. I do not think it detracts in any way and is only an advantage.

I have never seen the distance be wrong either. Can you replicate this?

11 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

The major reason you see a preview of the text after the "Cache Note" label is so that you know you have entered text in there. That is the reason. It is a visual way, other than the icon to see the text.

Makes sense. I did not realize that the Add/Update command is gone,

When I see wrong distance, it's always zero, so I assumed it's a matter of "not fetched in time". I could not repro it reliably yet.

• 3 months later...

Is it possible for the Personal Cache Note to be able to be synced/updated/uploaded from Cachly?  This is another of those features that I have used previously in other apps to enter notes on a cache on the phone while at GZ, but also have them available later as they get uploaded to geocaching.com.  Also very handy for Multi-caches as you can then return to them another day and continue where you left off.