Prompt before closing Cache Notes

Highlands_guy

Question

15 answers to this question

Is it worth replacing with:

1. an edit button, or
  2. automatically switching from 'browse' to 'edit' when you tap — like in Notes, or
  3. an undo/revert button

Worried the note could be changed accidentally with no way to undo it.

The first 2 suggestions would also make viewing longer notes easier.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Michael said:

It seems that Cachly 3.1 (9) is always saving the cache notes to geocaching.com even if the caches notes didn't change.

Will fix this in next beta.

9 hours ago, Michael said:

And if I now accidentally change/erase the cache notes, there is no way to cancel the saving :(

What are you proposing as an alternative?

On 10/19/2017 at 2:20 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

What are you proposing as an alternative?

Perhaps there could be an option for an upload of a cache note to be handled similarly to a pending / offline cache log.  So that the cache note can be edited and go in to a pending list that could be reviewed before approving the upload.

I too have been caught out a couple of times where I've written a huge note, then not had it save/upload, losing all that I'd written.  I use this a lot when doing earthcaches where I copy and paste the questions in the the cache note, then fill in my answers under the questions while in the field.  Saves switching back and forth to the cache description screen.

10 hours ago, AnyMules said:

Perhaps there could be an option for an upload of a cache note to be handled similarly to a pending / offline cache log.  So that the cache note can be edited and go in to a pending list that could be reviewed before approving the upload.

This would be an incredible amount of development. Not something that I would want to do.

10 hours ago, AnyMules said:

I too have been caught out a couple of times where I've written a huge note, then not had it save/upload, losing all that I'd written.  I use this a lot when doing earthcaches where I copy and paste the questions in the the cache note, then fill in my answers under the questions while in the field.  Saves switching back and forth to the cache description screen.

Are you saving these without an internet connection? If so, they will upload later, if not, they should upload right away. Is this not happening?

10 hours ago, barefootguru said:

The other issue I've struck recently is Cachly's version of the note can get of sync with the website… presumably because it's saved in Cachly's database.  If I don't realise there's 2 different versions, then any edits to Cachly's version can overwrite changes on the website.

This is just the nature of having the note in the database as well as online. Cachly should be syncing to the server, you just will have to remember to refresh the caches if you do make note changes on geocaching.com yourself.

On 16.11.2017 at 6:28 AM, AnyMules said:

Something like that would be great - to be honest, I don't like the current behavior (every change - usually by mistake are directly uploaded to the geocaching webserver - just deleted solving steps for a mystery by accident while tapping around in the notes section; what a pitty :-( ...) - There should be some interaction with the user (are you sure? are you REALLY sure? or the like ;-)...)

14 minutes ago, Necro said:

Something like that would be great - to be honest, I don't like the current behavior (every change - usually by mistake are directly uploaded to the geocaching webserver - just deleted solving steps for a mystery by accident while tapping around in the notes section; what a pitty :-( ...) - There should be some interaction with the user (are you sure? are you REALLY sure? or the like ;-)...)

The problem is users complain either way. In 3.0 you did have to tap Save in order to save the Note but users complained about that and wanted to go back to the old way, where it was uploaded automatically.

Really don't think we can make everyone happy with this one. :(