Best workflow for 5,000 offline caches

barefootguru

Hi, I like to keep areas around home in offline lists and up to date, so they're always available for unplanned caching where there's no cell coverage.  I currently have 6 PQs with around 800 caches each, covering different geographic areas (some overlap).  Every week I delete the 6 old offline lists and download the new PQs.

Wondering if a better workflow would be a one of combining of the offline lists into a single list, then weekly using Cachly's Update Caches function on all 5,000 caches.  Plus importing a single PQ into that list to pick up any new caches placed.

Thinking this would save quite a bit of time, plus allow me to view all the offline caches at once.

I guess I'd have to keep the original PQs around in case I needed to start again in Cachly.

Interested in thoughts.

47 minutes ago, ChrisDen said:

I do something similar to what you are suggesting. Combine the PQs. The problem I have with that method is how to identify archived caches so they can be deleted. Takes to long to run an update. 

Once you import new pocket queries you should be able to delete archived caches with a Date Last Updated filter. This is what I do in GSAK. The filter doesn't appear to risk properly in the latest beta. I've reported that issue here: 

http://www.cach.ly/support/index.php?/topic/882-date-last-updated-filter/

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2017 at 6:03 PM, barefootguru said:

Hi, I like to keep areas around home in offline lists and up to date, so they're always available for unplanned caching where there's no cell coverage.  I currently have 6 PQs with around 800 caches each, covering different geographic areas (some overlap).  Every week I delete the 6 old offline lists and download the new PQs.

Wondering if a better workflow would be a one of combining of the offline lists into a single list, then weekly using Cachly's Update Caches function on all 5,000 caches.  Plus importing a single PQ into that list to pick up any new caches placed.

Thinking this would save quite a bit of time, plus allow me to view all the offline caches at once.

I guess I'd have to keep the original PQs around in case I needed to start again in Cachly.

Interested in thoughts.

I run a database with 12000 caches. And have just started experimenting with the dropbox import feature.

Ill start by saying I have my PQs done on date order rather than geographic area to avoid overlaps and potential misses.

What I do is run GSAK, and import the PQs into that. I then manage my database in there. From GSAK, I export the csv to a dropbox folder and from cachly I import that into a fresh list each week. I then have the ability to download the most recent date PQ (which I run daily) and update this list with the new caches as needed.

It gives me a lot of control over the caches I bring in (also allowing for archived caches that are still there) plus it means that I can bring all my finds in(complete with cache note) so when I get a PAF call, I have my notes on me and can help out a fellow cacher.

The downfall with the workflow you sugggested is that it doesnt update caches that HAVE been archived and are gone. And the update cache feature is VERY SLOW on bulk lists as it only returns 50 caches at a time then waits 60 seconds (I think)

3 minutes ago, Kyzabra said:

And the update cache feature is VERY SLOW on bulk lists as it only returns 50 caches at a time then waits 60 seconds (I think)

No, it can perform up to 20 requests per 60 seconds, each with 50 caches in the request. Cachly just has to wait for all of those to complete, and if you more requests are needed it does have to wait 60 seconds.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:57 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

No, it can perform up to 20 requests per 60 seconds, each with 50 caches in the request. Cachly just has to wait for all of those to complete, and if you more requests are needed it does have to wait 60 seconds.

Can you clarify this for me Nic. Are you saying that it has the potential to return up to 20 groups of 50 caches per 60 seconds? I am not getting this. If I have 10,000 caches, how long "should" this take? 

4 hours ago, Kyzabra said:

Can you clarify this for me Nic. Are you saying that it has the potential to return up to 20 groups of 50 caches per 60 seconds? I am not getting this. If I have 10,000 caches, how long "should" this take? 

Yes - 20 requests in 60 seconds with each request covering 50 caches. That means 1000 caches per minute and then it needs to pause 1 minute before it can start the next batch. So with 10,000 caches it would be:
Min 1 - 1000
Min 2 - Pause
Min 3 - 2000
Min 4 - Pause
Min 5 - 3000
Min 6 - Pause
Min 17 - 9000
Min 18 - Pause
Min 19 - 10000
Min 20 - Pause
Min 21 - 11000

Assuming everything goes as planned. 

8 hours ago, Kyzabra said:

Cachly can perform 30 requests to the API per 60 seconds. So you can potentially return 1,500 updated caches every 60 seconds.

So updating to 30 requests per minute with 50 caches per request ...

Min 1 - 1500 cache updates
Min 2 - Pause
Min 3 - 3000
Min 4 - Pause
Min 5 - 4500
Min 6 - Pause
Min 7 - 6000
Min 8 - Pause
Min 9 - 7500
Min 10 - Pause
Min 11 - 9000
Min 12 - Pause