Who is using "Logs"?

Attila_G

I wonder who is using the "Logs" feature to read the own logs? Sorry, but I find this function somehow useless... No cache name, no find function. Why should I read my own logs at all? That's the reason why I ask this question. Who is using this feature and why?

Instead of my own logs, I would rather like to see a chronological list of all my logged caches (only cache name & GC code instead of the log text) with a daily summary (count of finds, DNF). Something similar to what Geosphere offers. I would often like to see which caches I logged on a given date. For me this feature would be much more useful.

I sometimes use Logs when someone asks me about a cache and I know I found it recently. Then I can pop up it up and refresh my memory about it. Lack of cache title makes it harder to spot it though. There are other ways to find it but it is sometimes faster to scroll back in logs than type in the GC code. 

25 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Logs tab was like a timeline of events that you could go back and explore. :)

I love the logs tab for exactly this reason, and I also use it with regularity. It's unfortunate that the API doesn't allow retrieving more information here as it's usefulness is a bit hobbled by those limitations. I know GCHQ has been open to small changes lately. @Nic Hubbard, any chance you can ask them about adding this? I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Understanding that not everyone feels the same way, I'm wondering if the tabs could be user defined from a pre-defined list larger than the current four? I've seen other apps that allow reordering and pulling options to the front that are otherwise hidden behind More. Don't care about trackables? Hide that option away, but put Bookmarks or Pocket Queries in its place, etc. That would be a nice feature for power users who really like to customize their experience.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:27 PM, Attila_G said:

Instead of my own logs, I would rather like to see a chronological list of all my logged caches (only cache name & GC code instead of the log text) with a daily summary (count of finds, DNF). Something similar to what Geosphere offers. I would often like to see which caches I logged on a given date. For me this feature would be much more useful.

Cachly doesn't save your logs in an internal database, so this isn't something that we have planned. 

On 25.9.2017 at 0:27 AM, Attila_G said:

11 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Cachly doesn't save your logs in an internal database, so this isn't something that we have planned. 

Ok, let me be more precise. Here is what Geosphere shows:

Fieldnotes.jpg.a82117a519ec42b424af33f30897aee2.jpg

It's a list of the fieldnotes that I have sent to gc.com via Geosphere. The list shows the 'logged' caches in chronological order separated by date and it shows how many caches I have found or not on that date. When tapping on the text it shows the fieldnote or when tapping on the arrow it shows the cache information.

I don't expect that Cachly does the same. But what would be great is if Cachly would save a similar overview. Jumping to the log or listing would be nice too. No API access is needed for this feature. It's 'only' a database with the sent logs.

Hope this makes it more clearer now. 

6 hours ago, Attila_G said:

But what would be great is if Cachly would save a similar overview. Jumping to the log or listing would be nice too. No API access is needed for this feature. It's 'only' a database with the sent logs.

Cachly does not save your sent logs in the database currently. 

How would this be different than the Logs tab? Just the grouping by date?

It would be different in many ways. Now Cachly loads the logs via API. The simple list can be created without API access (offline). In the list you already have the cache name as it comes from the listing. The list is much more compact. What you can't see on my screenshot is a little search/filter function that let's you find fieldnotes quickly. The grouping by date and the little statistic is a nice but useful feature. When caching with friends, I used this list often to make a screenshot of the caches and then to compare them with my colleagues (sometimes me or someone else forgot to log a cache...).

Above all, I personally just do not see any benefit in reading my own logs. If I need to read one of my logs, then it's a specific one to remind me of the cache again. On your Log-tab I will never ever find a specific log again. I tried to find the log of a cache that I logged only one month ago. It took more than a minute and I could only find it because I still knew the approximate date. No chance to find a log that is six or more months old.

Just to let you know: I do not want to criticize Cachly and your work. It should be a positive input to make the great app even better. ;)

On this topic, one feature I find handy in Geosphere (but havent really looked at in cachly) is the ability to easily view previous field notes. Often, when someone calls for assistance in finding a cache I have previously found, I will go back into Geosphere offline list, find the cache, and review my field notes on the hide.

Not sure what you mean by Field Note. Cachly syncs Cache Note with Geocaching.com so an update anywhere will be displayed or you could sync offline. If you mean a Pending draft log sent to Geocaching.com, after it is accepted on being uploaded, it's no longer a pending draft stored within Cachly. 

I use cache notes all the time as a reminder of the cache in case some one asks me. 

I'm guessing about how it has done but if I make a log in Geosphere, it keeps my log text in the DB and shows it along with all the other cache info. Later I can quickly see my log without scrolling back through all the subsequent logs. If there have been a lot of logs, even scrolling back might not reveal it. Very handy. 

On 9/26/2017 at 6:29 AM, Attila_G said:

Fieldnotes.jpg.a82117a519ec42b424af33f30897aee2.jpg

As a Geosphere refugee I was just talking about this the other day. I've been using Cachly since January and miss this feature. Can the daily count somehow be added to the Logs section as in the above screenshot? So for March 25 2017 above that's the (13/0/0), which is Finds/DNFs/Notes... Or anywhere? Maybe it's there somewhere in Cachly but I can't find it? I've found it useful when reconciling cache numbers with another cacher that day because sometimes in all the fun one of us ends up logging a cache incorrectly or not at all.

20 hours ago, wwbd said:

As a Geosphere refugee I was just talking about this the other day. I've been using Cachly since January and miss this feature. Can the daily count somehow be added to the Logs section as in the above screenshot? So for March 25 2017 above that's the (13/0/0), which is Finds/DNFs/Notes... Or anywhere? Maybe it's there somewhere in Cachly but I can't find it? I've found it useful when reconciling cache numbers with another cacher that day because sometimes in all the fun one of us ends up logging a cache incorrectly or not at all.

This is something we have on our list of features. Will see when we can get it added.

• 1 month later...

I love the idea to have a daily count of the field notes and also of the cache notes (Persönliche), it makes things easier to find after weeks and months and it gives a chance to compare a day-trip with my team to find out, if someone missed to log something.

Also in the screen shot it shows the title (and a GC code). Now in cachly the logs are named by GC code only, I never know what log refers to what cache without looking it up online to find the title.

So... I am looking forward to the update  :-)

Would it be possible to see the own log on the cache file? Usually when I am asked "can you give me a hint" I will look up the cache first, if I don't remember things about it, I will search for my log to help me remind where I found it.

In cachly I only see 5 logs, there is no button to let me download more logs to read (I can live with that), but it would be nice, that my own log is appended in this 5 logs when I have found that cache and logged it before.

The logs button to search for all logs will only help, if I have found a couple of caches, but after a couple of hundred it is impossible to find the correct log to help out someone. Would it be possible to append the own log to the cache (when downloaded for offline viewing) or to link it somehow?

Was my explanation too confusing  :-P

4 minutes ago, Btwchen said:

Would it be possible to append the own log to the cache (when downloaded for offline viewing) or to link it somehow?

There just isn't a way to do this using the API that we are provided. :( In 3.1 you will be able to filter your logs by log type, this will hopefully help a bit.

4 minutes ago, Btwchen said:

In cachly I only see 5 logs, there is no button to let me download more logs to read (I can live with that), but it would be nice, that my own log is appended in this 5 logs when I have found that cache and logged it before.

Pull down on the logs screen to load more from the sever.

• 1 month later...

Recanting my comment. I really would appreciate having my log on a cache kept in the local DB. I realize it is not on the server but having it there is invaluable when you get a Phone A Friend plea for help. The log can trigger key memories. I would only put detailed info about the hide and container into a cache note lest I create a spoiler log. I only do that for some noteworthy ones though. That's when the log is handy. 

@barefootguru I understand how the My Finds PQ works. My question was about whether updating all caches in that offline list would update the logs in such a way that my own would no longer be there if there were many logs posted after mine.

I had time to test it out tonight, and here's what I found in case anyone else is curious. I loading the My Finds GPX into an offline list. After that initial import, none of the caches had cache notes, but they did have just my log as expected. Updating all caches using basic data was enough to pull down cache notes, last found date, add the red heart on favorited caches, add the corrected coord indicator (even though the coords were already corrected), and maybe a few other minor things. My logs were still visible. Updating all caches using full data pulled the most recent logs but still kept mine even if it was significantly older than the new ones being added. So this does seem like a good compromise to keep a record of both your own public logs and your cache notes.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, wuthred said:

The My Finds PQ only includes DNFs for caches eventually found. Cachly has all my DNF logs. Is there any way the Logs feature in Cachly could export everything in CSV format for extracting in a spreadsheet? Or please tell me it already exists. Thanks. 

No, there isn't currently a way to export all of your DNFs in Cachly.

On 26/02/2018 at 1:21 PM, wuthred said:

The My Finds PQ only includes DNFs for caches eventually found. Cachly has all my DNF logs. Is there any way the Logs feature in Cachly could export everything in CSV format for extracting in a spreadsheet? Or please tell me it already exists. Thanks. 

You can see your DNF logs through the website, though it also includes those you’ve subsequently found.

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3

Thanks for the help all around. I have been geocaching on and off since 2004 and have always left a few comments in my logs (found or not found). What I am trying to do now is collect all these comments into one document (for posterity). Yes, I can go through all the logs on geocaching.com and copy/paste them but I thought that in this hi tech game there might be a simpler way. I have written a script to parse the My Finds PQ and extract the logs. That was when I discovered that not all the DNFs were included. But Cachly, with its access to the API, can generate all the logs, both found and not found. I am just a bit jealous of them. So yes, barefootguru, I will bite the bullet and start copy and paste for the DNFs from geocaching.com. Thanks.

Cachly does make its entire database available through iTunes (device > File Sharing > Cachly > Cachly.sqlite), and I suspect the DNFs will be in a separate table, but you'd have to know SQL to go that route.

Personally, even the living aren't that interested in my hobby :lol:

p.s. looks like you can get a list of DNFs which haven't subsequently been found with GSAK https://project-gc.com/qa/?qa=8983/search-dnfs-not-subsequently-found, which could then be exported.

• 1 month later...

I used the "Logs" feature on a recent caching road trip to review my posted logs and found it very helpful. In several cases, I edited the log or added a photo. One thing that would be nice to have is an indication whether a favorite was awarded by me and an option to add one.

11 minutes ago, hidegoseek said:

This is tangential to the original post, but I'm just wondering if app developers have their own "feature request" list with Geocaching HQ regarding the API.

I will say that we have a very open line of communication and that HQ is extremely helpful, kind and great people to work with. They really get a bad rap which frustrates me. :)