Workaround Access Token Expired

barefootguru

Question

I've posted in the GS forums the nuisance and decreased security that having to reauthenticate every 90 days represents (https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/345370-feature-request-dont-expire-access-token-after-90-days/).

Is there anything Cachly could do to make this less painful…

Maybe save my password and reauthenticate automatically?

or allow me to use Safari's saved password on the GS login screen?

6 answers to this question

I could be mistaken, but Cachy doesn't have your password. You are logging into the Geocaching.com site, not into Cachly, and then Geocaching.com gives Cachly a token that it uses for you. As far as I'm aware, Cachly, or any site that leverages access via geocaching.com, doesn't see your password. 

7 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

I could be mistaken, but Cachy doesn't have your password. You are logging into the Geocaching.com site, not into Cachly, and then Geocaching.com gives Cachly a token that it uses for you. As far as I'm aware, Cachly, or any site that leverages access via geocaching.com, doesn't see your password. 

Correct. We never know your password, and do not want to know them. We only hold the auth token in the iOS keychain.

7 hours ago, barefootguru said:

I believe that too, but authentication appears to be a series of web pages, so Cachly could save my password then enter it for me, or enable keychain access on those pages.

No. The security implications of us saving users passwords is not something we want. This is the reason why OAuth is used and connects with Groundspeak, so we don't have to save passwords.

In 3.0.3 when you are asked you re-authenticate you will be asked if you want to Logout or Cancel. You can cancel if you need to continue using Cachly. Previously it would log you out without any option.