New user questions: Search radius, limit exceeded

Highlands_guy

I'm a new cachly user (thank Josh) and so far very impressed. Thanks for your efforts in putting together this app.

After playing with it for a bit, I have some questions. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Questions:

1). Can I do a search with a given radius? I was trying to do a search that contained all the caches in about a 10 to 15 km radius. I found I had to keep touching the circle/arrow icon at the top right corner to progressively increase the radius, then if it wasn't right, move the map again and start from scratch.

2) Is there a zoom in/out that maintains the center point of the screen (like a +/- feature on many maps).

3) What counts toward my daily cache download limit? I was playing with different searches moving the screen a bit to try to capture the correct area, but before I knew it, I had a pop-up indicating "Error: Cache download limit has been exceeded"

4) What are the 2 orientations of the map when I toggle the "Center on my location" icon on the bottom right? True and magnetic north?

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Highlands_guy said:

I'm a new cachly user (thank Josh) and so far very impressed. Thanks for your efforts in putting together this app.

After playing with it for a bit, I have some questions. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Questions:

1). Can I do a search with a given radius? I was trying to do a search that contained all the caches in about a 10 to 15 km radius. I found I had to keep touching the circle/arrow icon at the top right corner to progressively increase the radius, then if it wasn't right, move the map again and start from scratch.

If you turn off Fit To Map in Settings it won't expand the map view to show more caches. Use Map Center in Search in Live options will start the search at the center of your Map View. There is a distance scale on the map so you could zoom out to show roughly 10km and keep tapping the circle/arrow icon. This will not stop it from finding caches further away that won't be visible on screen so you could try using 15 km and stopping when it looks like the 10 km area is well populated.  There is a feature request to restrict finds to only the visible map area but that does not exist today. Search on geocaching.com supports a radius so you could search there and make a bookmark list to bring into Cachly as an offline list  

2) Is there a zoom in/out that maintains the center point of the screen (like a +/- feature on many maps).

Not that I know of but a double tap will zoom the tap target and you can drag it to the screen center if you want the zooming centered  

3) What counts toward my daily cache download limit? I was playing with different searches moving the screen a bit to try to capture the correct area, but before I knew it, I had a pop-up indicating "Error: Cache download limit has been exceeded"

Non-premium members have a cache download daily limit of 3. This is a Geocaching.com server enforced limit and not something Cachly does. It just relays the message. Premium members have a limit of 6000 per day.

4) What are the 2 orientations of the map when I toggle the "Center on my location" icon on the bottom right? True and magnetic north?

From the help text

The current location button is used to return the map to your current location. Tapping it will also cycle you through the different follow mode including follow and follow with heading. Follow with heading allows the map to rotate based on your compass heading.

Thanks again.

Yes non premium are limited to 3/day via App. They have no limit on website usage. 

Full cache data retrieval counts against the 6000. Basic cache data/status don't count against the 6k. I guess you could hit the 6k limit if you had offline lists with thousands of entries and created them or did an update several times a day or on multiple devices. 

I'm a premium member, so looks like there is a 6000 daily limit.What actually counts towards that limit? Is it every cache that shows on the screen resulting from a search?

Hitting this limit is pretty hard. Like @rragan said you would have had to refresh some large offline lists with the "Full" option. This option downloads hint, description, logs, etc.

On 7/23/2017 at 4:20 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

Hitting this limit is pretty hard. Like @rragan said you would have had to refresh some large offline lists with the "Full" option. This option downloads hint, description, logs, etc.

I managed to hit it the first time playing with the app. I did a single off-line download of 2400 caches. I did lots of live viewing, but only the 2400 downloads.

So, what specifically counts towards the "download" count. Here's a couple of things I found by trail and error.

My wife is a basic user (apparently a 3 cache limit per day), but I was able download 950 caches to an offline list. I then turned off my phones data (airplane mode) and can see details on every offline cache I looked at, so it appears all 950 were downloaded to the offline list.

However, when opening the detail page of a cache, I did notice that the hints were not there and there was a banner above the description indicating it was the basic version and to "tap here to load the full version of the cache". When I tapped there, then the warning that a basic member can only download full details of 3 caches per 24-hour period.

My question now is:

Basic user:

1) what is the offline list size limits (if any) and;

2) what parts of the cache are not downloaded to the offline list? Example, I know that hints are not downloaded.

Thanks again.

12 hours ago, Highlands_guy said:

So, what specifically counts towards the "download" count. Here's a couple of things I found by trail and error.

When you are loading caches on the map, these are "lite" caches. The API allows 10,000 of these to be loaded per 24 hours. If you download caches to an offline list you have the option of saving "lite" or "full" caches. Lite again has the 10k limit, while Premium users get 6,000 full cache downloads which means hint, description, logs, waypoints, trackables and other small bits of data. Regular users only get 3 of these per 24 hours.

what is the offline list size limits (if any) and;

No limit. 

what parts of the cache are not downloaded to the offline list? Example, I know that hints are not downloaded.

This depends on if you download lite or full. Lite only gives you basic data such as coordinates, title, GC code, difficulty, terrain, cache size, CO, date placed, etc. Full will give you all this plus hint/description, last 30 logs, waypoints, trackables and more.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:47 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

Lite only gives you basic data such as coordinates, title, GC code, difficulty, terrain, cache size, CO, date placed, etc. Full will give you all this plus hint/description, last 30 logs, waypoints, trackables and more.

FYI:

When opening a cache on the map under my wife's Geocaching basic login, I see log files, but there are no descriptions or hints.

However, if I download caches to an offline list, I do get the descriptions (but still no hints).