Question about Locking Map Rotation

MooDeux

I have recently updated to version 1.1. Thank you for the additional features and improvements! Cachly continues to prove it is the best geocaching app for iOS users, Could you please tell me how the new map rotation lock feature functions? I have activated the padlock icon on the map, yet there appears to be no changes/map options do not appeared locked. . The map continues to rotate, and the lock does not appear to impact the directional arrow icon selection...I prefer to double tap the arrow so the map follows me as I navigate, and was hoping the lock would restore this function, as this is  only feature that I miss from the original geocaching app. Thank you!!

The lock icon simply locks manual map rotation. The map will rotate automatically when in the heading follow mode, but you won't be able to rotate it manually until it is unlocked.

Does that clear things up?

I prefer to double tap the arrow so the map follows me as I navigate, and was hoping the lock would restore this function, as this is  only feature that I miss from the original geocaching app.

Can you explain this more? What feature is missing?

Thanks very much for the reply, and that certainly does clear things up!

Please allow me to elaborate on the quote you referenced. I prefer to navigate in the heading follow mode, and I was hoping the lock feature would allow me to set this as my default mode. the original (paid) Groundspeak app defaulted to this mode, and it is the only feature I miss from that Groundspeak app.

Currently, once I click on "Navigate to Cache" the arrow head icon in the lower right screen is pointed in the 1 o'clock position, and appears as a white arrow outlined in green. From there I click once, at which time the arrow becomes solid green, remains in the 1 o'clock position, and zooms in on my current position, with a red line showing the navigation path (cache is not visible on screen until I approach it). I then click the arrow head a 3rd time, at which point it becomes a solid green arrow head with a green vertical line (forming an arrow), and is in the 12 o'clock position - the "heading follow" mode. Each time I pinch zoom in/out and/or change to a new cache, I have to go through this process to re-enable the "heading follow" mode. I did not see an option in settings to set the default navigation mode, which is the "missing" feature I was referring to. To illustrate, I have attached a labeled screen shot for reference.

Thanks for inquiring and considering!

post-75-0-07639200-1464894567_thumb.png

Each time I pinch zoom in/out and/or change to a new cache, I have to go through this process to re-enable the "heading follow" mode. I did not see an option in settings to set the default navigation mode, which is the "missing" feature I was referring to. To illustrate, I have attached a labeled screen shot for reference.

The issue where it gets reset when pinching in/out was fixed in 1.1. Have you upgraded to that version?

As for setting a mode as a default, there isn't currently a way to do this. But, just a though that I could build it so that if you long press on a mode it would "lock" that mode. what do you think?

I did indeed update to version 1.1 as soon as it became available. I find that pinching in/out a minute amount does not knock the map out of heading follow mode, however if I pinch in/out rapidly and around 40% of the screen diameter resets the setting.

It would be awesome if the option to long press to "lock" the mode could be added (great suggestion)! I would think that providing the option will allow those who wish to utilize the function to do so, yet would be unobtrusive and would not interfere with those users who do not wish to "lock" the mode.

I did indeed update to version 1.1 as soon as it became available. I find that pinching in/out a minute amount does not knock the map out of heading follow mode, however if I pinch in/out rapidly and around 40% of the screen diameter resets the setting.

Strange. I was just trying to replicate this and I can't. Can you replicate this reliably?

I was going to post a Feature Request, but realised this topic was exactly what I was looking for.  I'm continuing to put Cachly through its paces, and am still very impressed.

I too usually want the 'heading follow' mode, and it is a little irritating to have to repeatedly set this mode.  It's a pity that you can't set a preferred mode, or even default to 'heading follow'.  

I'm also having some problems with pinching. If done carefully, then fine.  However, if the map is moved just a fraction, then the little pointer reverts to white arrow at 1 o'clock (or 1:30 :) ). So quickly try and set back - then my finger keeps missing the arrow and selecting 'more' by mistake.  Grrr.

A thought regarding the iPad Air.  If wifi-only, then no gps receiver.  Could that be a factor?

I was going to post a Feature Request, but realised this topic was exactly what I was looking for.  I'm continuing to put Cachly through its paces, and am still very impressed.

I too usually want the 'heading follow' mode, and it is a little irritating to have to repeatedly set this mode.  It's a pity that you can't set a preferred mode, or even default to 'heading follow'.  

I'm also having some problems with pinching. If done carefully, then fine.  However, if the map is moved just a fraction, then the little pointer reverts to white arrow at 1 o'clock (or 1:30 :) ). So quickly try and set back - then my finger keeps missing the arrow and selecting 'more' by mistake.  Grrr.

A thought regarding the iPad Air.  If wifi-only, then no gps receiver.  Could that be a factor?

I am looking deeper into the issue to see if it can be fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

• 7 months later...

As a new user I've been reading through the posts and this one caught my attention. It seems like this is still an issue. At least it is on my phone. When using the Classic geocaching app I usually had what I call the "locked on north screen position" set off. I like the "heading follow" mode too and each time I pinch the screen a little or go from one cache to the next I have to keep double pressing the arrow head. Was this issue ever addressed or resolved? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere to set this yet?

Also I looked at the Geowoodstock video and in the demonstrations the screens looked to be much easier to read. There are several of us "older" users who are having a little trouble with so much bright white and the not so dark gray text. I tried changing the text size on my phone in general settings but that doesn't help with the app. I can turn the brightness up on the phone as far as it will go and it makes it a little easier to read but not by much and that can be a battery drainer. Anything us "older" users can do to darken the text and soften the white?

And one more question about logging. I've seen references to making a default log in the posts here but haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Thanks for any help!

So far I've only worked with Cachly from home. Tomorrow will be the out-in-the-field test. I've already transferred 20 saved lists from my iPhone and iPad and am ready to give it a go. Without even caching yet I can already tell you though that I love this app. Love seeing our DNF's, really love seeing caches with corrected coords where they actually can be found, and LOVE being able to rename my Saved Lists! Thank you so much for the effort you've put into developing this app. From reading Facebook posts and talking with other users I have a feeling you're going to be inundated with new users. :)

15 hours ago, Rooski22 said:

As a new user I've been reading through the posts and this one caught my attention. It seems like this is still an issue. At least it is on my phone. When using the Classic geocaching app I usually had what I call the "locked on north screen position" set off. I like the "heading follow" mode too and each time I pinch the screen a little or go from one cache to the next I have to keep double pressing the arrow head. Was this issue ever addressed or resolved? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere to set this yet?

This is still something we are working on, hopefully it can be fixed in 2.1.

Also I looked at the Geowoodstock video and in the demonstrations the screens looked to be much easier to read. There are several of us "older" users who are having a little trouble with so much bright white and the not so dark gray text. I tried changing the text size on my phone in general settings but that doesn't help with the app. I can turn the brightness up on the phone as far as it will go and it makes it a little easier to read but not by much and that can be a battery drainer. Anything us "older" users can do to darken the text and soften the white?

There is always room for improvement in the UI and we will be sure to look into this issue and how we can address this concern. Making text larger in Cachly based on your iOS settings is harder though and it causes issues with the user interface and how things are designed and laid out. We are working on it. :)

And one more question about logging. I've seen references to making a default log in the posts here but haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Thanks for any help!

Go to the More tab then to Settings. You will see a section called "Log Defaults". This is where you can set the various defaults.

So far I've only worked with Cachly from home. Tomorrow will be the out-in-the-field test. I've already transferred 20 saved lists from my iPhone and iPad and am ready to give it a go. Without even caching yet I can already tell you though that I love this app. Love seeing our DNF's, really love seeing caches with corrected coords where they actually can be found, and LOVE being able to rename my Saved Lists! Thank you so much for the effort you've put into developing this app. From reading Facebook posts and talking with other users I have a feeling you're going to be inundated with new users. :)

Glad you are liking it!

Just a follow up on my questions and your replies. Went for a caching test drive today with another cacher and we both used Cachly all day and loved it. Outdoors I think the screen was much easier to read. Maybe because I wasn't holding the phone so close to my face. :) The directional arrow took some getting used to but I eventually got the hang of it. We really had it down after a couple of caches and only have good things to say about our experience. Keep up the good work!

21 minutes ago, Rooski22 said:

Just a follow up on my questions and your replies. Went for a caching test drive today with another cacher and we both used Cachly all day and loved it. Outdoors I think the screen was much easier to read. Maybe because I wasn't holding the phone so close to my face. :) The directional arrow took some getting used to but I eventually got the hang of it. We really had it down after a couple of caches and only have good things to say about our experience. Keep up the good work!

Glad to hear it was a good experience! Let me know if you have any other questions.