Offline Opencycle maps?

dw1

I am really enjoying using Cachly - so much better than the official Groundspeak app!  I'm wondering if there is a way to download any other maps besides OSM.  OSM doesn't display all the trails and topo data as well as Open Cycle Map.  Any solution for this?  Thanks!

OCM include topo lines, useful when hiking to see how steep the trails are.  I found out this weekend that the other issue I had isn't true for Cachly.  When I look at OSM on my computer, the trails are much fainter than in OCM, but in Cachly they are much easier to see - so that's great!  Overall, Cachly is such an improvement over the old Groundspeak app!

20 hours ago, dw1 said:

OCM include topo lines, useful when hiking to see how steep the trails are.  I found out this weekend that the other issue I had isn't true for Cachly.  When I look at OSM on my computer, the trails are much fainter than in OCM, but in Cachly they are much easier to see - so that's great!  Overall, Cachly is such an improvement over the old Groundspeak app!

I am looking into ways to include topo lines. It will make the download sizes larger but I do think it would be great to have.

• 1 month later...
On 25.6.2017 at 6:45 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

Open Cycle Maps are just OSM maps with additional layers shown. What in particular are you wanting to show? Can you give me a location example and what is missing in the offline maps?

Hi Nic

My cacher-buddies uses Locus for Android and the Freizeitkarten-OSM map (german site). These maps are very popular in europe. Often when I search for a route to the cache my friends have a small way or path that is not shown on my offline map. Or they see objects like fountains, huts, fireplaces and much better surface and way patterns!

As far as I know this is mainly affected by the used theme and the 'Freizeitkarten' theme is optimized for geocaching. Maybe you can have a look into this theme. Another great option would be to let the users add their own OSM maps/themes.

Here are two examples (Freizeitkarten on Android and offline maps on Cachly):

sample1-cachly.thumb.PNG.4c0823020e753fa0d21bf37502c8116d.PNGsample1-fzk.thumb.JPG.ce3f258ff1a477bda365207b5235b727.JPG

sample3-cachly.thumb.PNG.63cabd6217e3805c1b01b4bb1aca007f.PNGsample3-fzk.thumb.JPG.e9ac1c06d3edaac3a49979ae298b6172.JPG