Offline Maps

HikingSeal

I just spent some interesting time reading threads about offline maps. It made me realize how important they are to most folks. I changed my data plan to unlimited with Verizon and my bill actually went down $3. (Just throwing in a tip for any other Verizon customers out there) I only use offline maps when I'm out in the boondocks with no cell service.Truthfully I will probably be using my GPS in such situations but it's nice to have the caches on my phone to so I can look at pictures if I'm stuck and write some of the log. I digress.

Here's my thought. I have Google Maps on my phone. It prompts me to download the maps around my home. Basically I can be offline and have navigation for about an hour radius around my home. Since that information is stored on my phone, would it be possible use those maps to display caches with direct rather than on road navigation within Cachly or at least put the cache data on the map in Google Maps? The vector maps are cool but Google is better especially with satellite view.

25 minutes ago, HikingSeal said:

Since that information is stored on my phone, would it be possible use those maps to display caches with direct rather than on road navigation within Cachly or at least put the cache data on the map in Google Maps? The vector maps are cool but Google is better especially with satellite view.

Cachly has integration with Google Maps by tapping the ... button when on the Navigate to Cache screen. This will allow you to navigate to the cache. 

Other than this, there is no way for Cachly to pass data to Google Maps. Apps on iOS are very closed and you cannot pass data between them unless the app has allowed this with URL schemes. See https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/urls/ios-urlscheme