Export as GPX - Why?

HikingSeal

Purely a question of curiosity. I notice several threads here about people using this feature to move caches from Cachly to GSAK or other devices.Perhaps I'm just stuck in a rut. Everything goes into GSAK then out to my devices. Why do people want to export from Cachly?

Please don't anyone be offended by my curiosity. I'm prepping for a phone caching class and just want to hear about other points of view. Maybe there will be someone in the class who will have need of the feature.

Exporting a GPX completely eliminates the need for a Pocket Query or Caches along a Route, for quick trips I take out of town. Go to the map, (Make sure clear map on refresh is set to off) and pan where you want to start, zoom in on an area, refresh the map. Now, pan the map along the route, hit refresh, repeat until you reach the destination. Now save the caches to an Offline list and also Export GPX. Once I have the GPX file on my Mac, I just load it into my Garmin GPS. This way the caches in my GPS are and exact copy of what is in my Offline list in Cachly. 

Interesting.

For MrGigabyte it sounds like you are doing your trip planning through Cachly.  Guess I'm just fond of my 21" monitor for that purpose I don't have to wear my reading glasses then.;)

ChrisDen I'm totally with you. I just use the "Export txt File" from the Pending Log screen for that purpose.

Thanks for the responses so far. To everyone else keep'em coming.

21 hours ago, MrGigabyte said:

Exporting a GPX completely eliminates the need for a Pocket Query or Caches along a Route, for quick trips I take out of town. Go to the map, (Make sure clear map on refresh is set to off) and pan where you want to start, zoom in on an area, refresh the map. Now, pan the map along the route, hit refresh, repeat until you reach the destination. Now save the caches to an Offline list and also Export GPX. Once I have the GPX file on my Mac, I just load it into my Garmin GPS. This way the caches in my GPS are and exact copy of what is in my Offline list in Cachly. 

Similar strategy to cherry pick caches manually along my route and save them to an offline list. I just do it on an iPad (larger screen) and export to an iPhone for caching. 

On 5/25/2017 at 11:33 AM, MrGigabyte said:

I do use offline lists and GPX export but have never tried to accumulate a set of caches along a route, which would be very handy. So help me understand what I may be doing wrong since I'm having trouble duplicating your procedure and getting it to work.

Here's what I'm doing: I see 5 caches on my way out of town and zoom the map to include just those on the screen and hit the circular refresh button. Then I pan the map a little further up the highway and see 7 more out in the country that I also want. Again I adjust the zoom to include only those and refresh again. Then a little further there are 10 that I want to add, so zoom and refresh once more. But when I go to save the offline list and choose Visible, I get only the last 10. And if I choose All, there are 159. What I want are only the 22 in the three groups, and that sounds like what you are accomplishing. So I must be missing or misunderstanding something simple.

My settings are shown below, and any pointers would be appreciated!

IMG_0019.PNG

There are a couple of ways to go. Clear Map on Refresh:off, Use Map Center in Search:on. If you are picking onesies like an easy grab at a freeway exit, just save it to the list. If you want to grab three at once, zoom in to those and do Save Visible to the list. Then move the map down the road. The next search will show you new ones. Repeat the process. 

An alternative is to highlight the ones you want. Then you can do Save Highlighted when you have all the ones you want (assuming no other random highlighted caches are in the view)

I have asked for a search variant that limits the search area to the visible window. That saves loading caches I won't use when doing a manual caches on a route like above. 

Thanks, rragan! I now see what I was doing wrong. :P  After the first capture of a group of caches along a route, I should have been saving to an offline list right then with subsequent captures being saved into that list. I was trying to do all of the captures and then save to a single list at the end. 

Thanks to you and MrGigabyte for alerting and helping me with this option!