Waypoints on map

ChrisHDot

Question

Hi team,

I have been using Cachly for two months now coming from L4C and really like the simplicity yet functionality of this app. Purchase was definitely the right decision, no doubt.

What I am missing in this app comparing it to its predecessor though is the feature that when you click on a cache on the map (regardless if live or offline), it does show the waypoints of this cache as pins, dots or any other symbol. I really enjoyed this feature as it allowed me to directly choose the final coordinates for navigation from the map instead of opening the details of the cache. Of course, additional waypoints are not showing all the time as it would simply ruin the overview but only when the cache is marked. Understand though this might be an issue of visuals as the window for the cache details is quite large.

Checked the previous requests but did not find anything like this yet. Is such a feature planned?

Regards, Chris 

13 answers to this question

Not sure how I feel about this. I do tap around the map before choosing to navigate and this could be distracting. In Geosphere, I turn on the show waypoints filter but this also clutters the main map as you don't know which cache they belong to. That filter is useful once I have drilled down to cache details though. 

Hey Nic, I am attaching a picture of how it worked in L4C. Not sure if I made my point clear enough but the waypoints definitely would only show for the cache currently having the "pop-up" shown. An option might be to trigger this setting in the options as I appreciate some might not like this feature. 

In the attached screenshot, the app shows the additional waypoint for parking saved in the listing of the tapped cache. If there were custom-ones as well, these would show, too. The icons are different though which make sure it easier to differentiate between the types of wp.

Regards, Chris 

IMG_5559.PNG

I dithered on my opinions on this one earlier. Having hiked for a 54 stage multi yesterday, I keenly felt the inability to spot other caches along the way to the next waypoint. Overall map view did not show the next waypoint of the multi and what opportunities might lie along the way. Getting back to the original multi to plot the current waypoint after diverting to find a nearby cache was not easy. 

I think what would have served is

• a setting on global map view to you show all waypoints
  • a way to highlight a waypoint so I could spot the currently sought one quickly in map view with context about what was nearby on the way to it. This suggests waypoints could have a small set of associated data like highlight and a note field to record info for multi step field puzzles
  • Better coupling of a displayed Waypoint to its cache. E.g. Option on Waypoint press to open the waypoints screen of the parent to see it and other waypoints. I should be able to get from a waypoint to the parent Cache to do things like see the description, hint, etc. This becomes more important with all waypoints shown on map as it also helps to determine the cache the WP belongs to. 

Sorry if this wandered off off into a longish list of Waypoint features but each step seemed to open up further needs. 

3 hours ago, rragan said:

I dithered on my opinions on this one earlier. Having hiked for a 54 stage multi yesterday, I keenly felt the inability to spot other caches along the way to the next waypoint. Overall map view did not show the next waypoint of the multi and what opportunities might lie along the way. Getting back to the original multi to plot the current waypoint after diverting to find a nearby cache was not easy. 

I think what would have served is

• a setting on global map view to you show all waypoints
  • a way to highlight a waypoint so I could spot the currently sought one quickly in map view with context about what was nearby on the way to it. This suggests waypoints could have a small set of associated data like highlight and a note field to record info for multi step field puzzles
  • Better coupling of a displayed Waypoint to its cache. E.g. Option on Waypoint press to open the waypoints screen of the parent to see it and other waypoints. I should be able to get from a waypoint to the parent Cache to do things like see the description, hint, etc. This becomes more important with all waypoints shown on map as it also helps to determine the cache the WP belongs to. 

Sorry if this wandered off off into a longish list of Waypoint features but each step seemed to open up further needs. 

Better handling of multi caches and their waypoints is my most wanted feature. Your suggestions would be a dream come true :)

On 5/11/2017 at 7:36 PM, MrGigabyte said:

I vote for having the option to turn on or off all additional waypoints on the map. No cache selection required. This way I can see all the trailheads, parking, stages of multis, etc. regardless of what cache they are for. 

This would be grat.... that is the main thing I am missing in cachly right now. I am searching for an App that is able to do that.
I would love to see that on/off button for all waypoints in cachly!

I'd also made a similar comment in another thread a while ago on a similar topic..

Being able to see all the waypoints for all the caches, along with the actual cache locations, and all the relevant 161m circles. was always a useful feature of one of the older apps I used to use - especially when out and hiding a cache - you could make sure you were not putting it in a place where there was a physical waypoint of a multiocache (assuming one has the waypoints available in their database of course).  Being able to toggle these on for such an occasion would be useful.

Similarly, having a lot of the waypoints appear on the map can also help show you places you may need to visit in the area you are currently caching in that belong to another cache elsewhere.  We have a few multi caches around where I am that have waypoints scattered all over the city, or some that have many stops along interstate roads over 100s of kilometres.  It's a real pain when you find out you've driven past one where you needed to collect some information as the waypoint didn't appear on the map at the time.