UTM Coordinates

DavidOfTheTreePeople

Question

8 answers to this question

Why use UTM on your GPS as the standard for Geocaching is WGS84? If you create a cache on geocaching.com aren't the coordinates provided in WGS84 format?

Anyway, you can more easily get to the geocaching.com page from Cachly without having to separately launch a browser, go to geocaching.com and search on the GC code. Instead, with the cache selected, click the 3 ... in the top right and select View on Geocaching.com and it should launch that cache in your browser.

Whereas most geocaching uses the WSG standard, I've noticed that if you tap on the cache location it swaps format. Not sure if this is both what you're looking for and if it's just a new feature in the latest beta version I'm testing. 

Personally I'm really chuffed with Cachly and normally find that a positive approach for new features is far more effective than s negative approach. One of the first features Nick added was the translation facility which we use a LOT especially when cache NG abroad. 

Cache u laters

@Roan65 - Bob Thanks!  In my version tapping location toggles between DMS and decimal format. I'm not sure if it's an open beta, but I'll have to try it out if it is.  

After re-reading my review, it did come out more negative than I intended (I probably shouldn't write reviews before having my first cup of coffee in the morning).  It is a really great app overall, and I apologize to the developers for not calling that out in my initial post. 

1 hour ago, DavidOfTheTreePeople said:

In my version tapping location toggles between DMS and decimal format. I'm not sure if it's an open beta, but I'll have to try it out if it is.  

This is in the App Store version as well. Are you able to use the decimal format for your GPS?

11 hours ago, DavidOfTheTreePeople said:

I could use the decimal format if I change my GPS settings, but I would have to switch it back to UTM every time I use my GPS in conjunction with a topo map.  It would probably be easier for me to just look up the UTM value on the website.

I will make sure to add the UTM format to our 3.0 version of Cachly. :)