Should offline lists and pending logs be user specific?

Nic Hubbard

I am trying to figure out the best way to move forward with this. Currently offline lists, pending logs and saved locations are tied to your username. So if you login with another user they won't see these.  

Recently some users haven't realized/know this and changed their usernames only to login and appear to have lost everything. 

Should this be removed in 3.0 and these are no longer shown to only the users who created them? I think the official app works how Cachly currently does. 

To me it seems logical how it works now. But some users don't. 

Thoughts on this and what to do for 3.0?

It seems appropriate that what is downloaded under 1 logged in user account isn't visible to a different user account on the same device.  

Are these users individuals that used a different program prior to cachly that treated the files as application and not user specific? They just need to learn how it works under Cachly. I don't feel it should change. 

If Cachly had a shared database then if you logged in as a different user you'd see somebody else's data, which seems wrong.

I'm guessing Groundspeak won't let you access an internal ID which doesn't change?

So I think the existing behaviour is correct.

If there's no data when starting the app, you could display a dialog saying data needs to be downloaded, including if you've renamed your username? 

Hi Nic,

from my understanding some users have two nicknames / accounts. Perhaps they go Geocaching in a group or want to log the same Caches. Not everybody is using an iPhone and they want to log all together. Then it makes sense to have multiple users in Cachly at the same time. That means that all accounts are logged in Cachly. Then you can choose what you are doing with the accounts.  There is another Geocaching app in the App Store that already is doing that. That makes sense. 

When you have to log out and log in with another account the user dates should not be accessible from the other user. So it is fine as it is at the moment.

14 minutes ago, BAMBI11 said:

from my understanding some users have two nicknames / accounts. Perhaps they go Geocaching in a group or want to log the same Caches. Not everybody is using an iPhone and they want to log all together. Then it makes sense to have multiple users in Cachly at the same time. That means that all accounts are logged in Cachly. Then you can choose what you are doing with the accounts.  There is another Geocaching app in the App Store that already is doing that. That makes sense. 

When you have to log out and log in with another account the user dates should not be accessible from the other user. So it is fine as it is at the moment.

Through the API you can only be logged in to one geocaching.com account in any application I've used. I can understand supporting multiple users - one logged in at a time. I don't see a need or priority to have 1 Cachly app supporting teams (2+) of individuals. 

What app is supporting multiple users logging concurrently?

1 hour ago, BAMBI11 said:

Then it makes sense to have multiple users in Cachly at the same time. That means that all accounts are logged in Cachly. Then you can choose what you are doing with the accounts.  There is another Geocaching app in the App Store that already is doing that. That makes sense. 

This wasn't necessarily the question here. It was only about offline lists. 

Cachly won't be supporting multiple logged in accounts like Looking4Cache does.

I would agree with those that think this information should be tied to the account. 

However doesn't reach user have a numerical ID?  Can this info be tied to the ID instead of the username (can you get this information during login)?  I assume that even when you change your username this ID stays the same. 

27 minutes ago, Bolling said:

However doesn't reach user have a numerical ID?  Can this info be tied to the ID instead of the username (can you get this information during login)?  I assume that even when you change your username this ID stays the same. 

Yes they do. Username has been what was used so if we transitioned over to user ID we would have to figure out a way to update all offline lists and user preferences to use the numerical ID instead of username.

8 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Yes they do. Username has been what was used so if we transitioned over to user ID we would have to figure out a way to update all offline lists and user preferences to use the numerical ID instead of username.

UserID might also have fixed the issue with special characters in the username. I imagine it's not an easy programming switch from username to UserID internally but it may be worth it in the long run even if it has to wait until a future version. I suspect only a small subset of users is impacted, but it sounds like for those that are there can be numerous problems. 

23 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

This wasn't necessarily the question here. It was only about offline lists. 

Cachly won't be supporting multiple logged in accounts like Looking4Cache does.

I personally would love to be able to have multiple logged in accounts. I often log caches for my boyfriend and myself. This would be a great feature to have. And I know a lot of others would love this as well

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, RestoRanger said:

This just happened to me. Why would you tie my data to information that can change? How do I access my information now?

Did you change your username? It is tied to your username so that if someone else logs into Cachly that they don't see your offline lists, settings and data.