Just a quick question on searching for caches

caccbag

Just downloaded Cachly a few minutes ago (was a user of the original Geocaching app...based upon reviews of the new one vs. Cachly - decided upon Cachly).  In the old app, if I was standing say in a park, I could search for nearby caches.   A list would appear with caches and distances (in increasing distance away).  Does Cachly offer that type of search as well?   Thanks

Yes, you can tap the refresh button (top right) and it will load caches based on the center of the map and in a 50k meter radius. Just make sure that Cachly has found your current location first, or that you tap the current location button (bottom right on map) to center it over your location.

Is this what you meant?

** Also tapping the gear icon in the search field will show you all the Search Options available.

Thanks.  Got it - and now I see "Navigate to geocache" shows me distance.  I hide....a lot.  I have 2229 finds and 815 hides, so being able to see if any caches are within 0.1 mile of where I plan to hide is important to me.  I guess the "navigate to geocache" option is the only way to do this?

• 1 year later...

We found the ability to drop a pin and move it around very handy as we were trying to identify possible hiding locations for a very confusing field puzzle.  Question for you.  Is there any way to turn on the radius display for a pin?  I brute forced one playing around by turning the pin into a cache.  However, I had to give it a name, GC number, type, difficulty, terrain, size . . .

Thanks.

On 23/05/2018 at 9:56 AM, Sailaboat said:

I brute forced one playing around by turning the pin into a cache.  However, I had to give it a name, GC number, type, difficulty, terrain, size . . .

Only 3 fields are compulsory when creating your own cache:  name, code, and type.

I suggest starting the code with something other than GC to keep it seperate.

2 hours ago, rragan said:

Any reason not to pick a default type like Mystery or Virtual to further simplify creation? The user can always change it. 

Mystery does not have the 161m circle. Probably better to default to a traditional. Highlighted would make it visible (with a unique colour ;-)