Map to list focus

rragan

Question

13 answers to this question

I very much like the idea behind this as I too have wished I could quickly find a cache in the list that I see on the map.

However my only thought it how I also like to scroll through list view and leave it at a certain place, then browse the map and return to list. If it had been scrolled for each cache I tapped I would be really confused as a user. So, I think there would need to be a user setting to turn this on.

I always thought that the list should always replicate the map view based on cache selected (being viewed or alternatively, the centre of the map). That cache is always at the top of the list and all others are subsequently listed based on proximity to it , in increasing order.  

No, I mean "sort" based on distance from the center of the map (or whatever cache I have selected in the map). That way if I pan the map a great distance away and hit the List view, I will see exactly the same cache I see in the map, with the map closest to the center of the map at the top of the list.  Now that is usefull as yo can se the names and basic info of all the visible caches all at once. No clicking required. 

This is how Geosphere works. It is so useful that you can even use it on a non-network connected device. 

MrGigabyte, I just hopped over to Geosphere to see what it does. I filtered with a group of caches in Illinois near me and a group back in California. I think these are the cases.

Initial state: Sort by Distance selected for list view, the top entry is about .11 mi away. Map positioned to California. Switching tabs back and forth and nothing changes. 

1. Tap into a cache near top of the list and switch to Map tab. Map is now focused on my selected cache with a callout and shows surrounding caches. I am not navigating. Switching back to list view blinks the selected cache entry. Whatever cache is focused with a callout results in the list shifting to that one with a blink  

2. In state after #1, drag the map to California and then switch to List view. Since no Calif cache has got the focus, switching to list still shows a position in Illinois where I left it. 

3. Tap a Calif cache to get callout and set a focus. Switch to list view and the list moves to that cache entry and blinks. Dragging the map back to Illinois and looking at the list tab shows it still points to the Calif entry. 

In no case did the list Sorted by Distance get resorted based on the cache I was viewing in Map mode. The sort was always from my current location.

So in summary, the list always remains sorted however you chose. If a cache is focused on the map, the list will move to that cache when switching back to List. This "follow the focus" only happens once. If I move the list after a focus pulls me to an entry, go back to the map and back to the list my scrolling of the list is honored. 

I tried messing around in airplane mode but it the sort by distance did not change. How it could know my location is unclear at that point. Adding new groups from other places did seem to change the top entry of the list but I could not find what algorithm it might be using. Multiple lists in a view is not something Cachly has so not relevant.

It might be nice to be able to force a new location different from where you are but I don't see that Geosphere can do this, nor Cachly. If I'm traveling on foot or in car, the sort by distance list does reorder itself as closest changes which is expected.

If you can describe how to make Geosphere act as you say, I'd be curious.

Then you do not have your Geosphere settings configured properly.  For 100% offline mode (GPS is off) you set the bookmark "Set My Location To" to Target.  You then just double tap the cache icon in the map, then hit the Map tab and the list returned is sorted exactly as I described. There are other options as well to change the behaviour to work with search rather than target as well.  

Hmm, set my location to target is how I was set. Setting for Show Target is GPS. Offline or Online with GPS disabled only zooms the map when I double or triple tap. If I just tap for the callout and double click the icon in the callout then it becomes the target. For me, this does not alter the list sorting.

I can get a new location to measure from by changing Set Location bookmark to Search. Then doing a search makes the center of the search results act like I'm located there for measuring distances. The Sort By Distance on the list still holds but distances are measured from the new logical location established by the search. This is similar to your result but I had to use different settings to achieve it