Geosphere user trying Cachly

.jpeg

Question

As a Geosphere user since ver 2, I have been very satisfied and use it for most of my caching. But it seems that the developer has either lost interest or been too busy to address problems caused by iOS updates. But since the Cachly developer is so engaged, I thought I would mention some handy features that I’ve become accustomed to and haven’t found in Cachly. If I've overlooked them please let me know. I posted this on the facebook Cachly group and was asked to post it here.

1. When I first tried Cachly I was dismayed by the similarities to the “official” app, I like the compact and precise “pins” used by Geosphere better than the large Ouija planchette markers used by Cachly. Based on the facebook post, there are a lot of users who hate the pins but I'm not seeing any logical reasons why.

2. In Geosphere you can change the colors of the cache pins. For example, in Cachly I usually can’t tell the difference between a virtual and a letterbox.

3. Also the red “as the crow flies” line between your location and the target. I wish there was a way to turn them off because they are only useful if you are a crow. (joke)

4. Geosphere has a very handy feature that turns suggested coordinates in logs to a hyperlink that when clicked gives you the option of creating an additional waypoint or correcting the primary one. I’ve used that a lot.

5. I read that filters in offline caches will be added in a later version. This would be a big help. As it is now it seems you are required to do the filtering when creating the offline group.

6. Not sure if this is possible in Cachly but in Geosphere the offline groups seem to all subsets of a single database allowing the user to mix and match groups as needed.

7. Geosphere doesn’t have this but Google maps does. A dark background screen for night caching or battery conservation.

All that being said, Cachly is very capable and promising and will probably soon by my go-to app for caching.

One more thing, the map selection in Cachly is superb, even with the API Key glitch in the open maps. Keep up the great work!

8 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, rragan said:

Recognizing coordinates in text contexts and making them clickable is related to the ability to generally recognize a coordinate in text form with support for the dd.ddd, dd mm.mmm, dd mm sss formats and associated embellishments like +/-, N,S,EW, °, ',"

This functionality has already been completed in the brand new coordinate parser in 2.1. Detection of coordinates in all formats will also be across the app.

I guess I just prefer a minimum of things covering up the map. I prefer to play Geocaching rather than "what's under the red line". Wouldn't a small arrow pointing toward the target from your current location serve the purpose just as well yet reveal more of the map?

2 minutes ago, .jpeg said:

When I first tried Cachly I was dismayed by the similarities to the “official” app, I like the compact and precise “pins” used by Geosphere better than the large Ouija planchette markers used by Cachly. Based on the facebook post, there are a lot of users who hate the pins but I'm not seeing any logical reasons why.

This is just a Cachly style which our users love. I think the pins in Geosphere feel like an old iOS style since many apps have moved away from this. I understand if it is hard to get used to something new.

6 minutes ago, .jpeg said:

In Geosphere you can change the colors of the cache pins. For example, in Cachly I usually can’t tell the difference between a virtual and a letterbox.

Other Geosphere users have suggested this. We have considered this and it is still on our feature list.

7 minutes ago, .jpeg said:

Geosphere has a very handy feature that turns suggested coordinates in logs to a hyperlink that when clicked gives you the option of creating an additional waypoint or correcting the primary one. I’ve used that a lot.

Do you mean coordinates in the log text itself, or coordinates that were submitted with the log? Do you have a GC code I can look at?

9 minutes ago, .jpeg said:

I read that filters in offline caches will be added in a later version. This would be a big help. As it is now it seems you are required to do the filtering when creating the offline group.

Yes, this will be coming in 2.1.

9 minutes ago, .jpeg said:

Not sure if this is possible in Cachly but in Geosphere the offline groups seem to all subsets of a single database allowing the user to mix and match groups as needed.

In 2.1 we will be using a unified database. So caches in one offline list will be the same database record in another list. This will be the same as "groups".

Let me know if you have any other questions.

4 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Q: Geosphere has a very handy feature that turns suggested coordinates in logs to a hyperlink that when clicked gives you the option of creating an additional waypoint or correcting the primary one. I’ve used that a lot.

A: Do you mean coordinates in the log text itself, or coordinates that were submitted with the log? Do you have a GC code I can look at?

Yes, coordinates in the text of the log itself. GC70DAH See crumbcrunchers log on 3/12/17.

What about disabling the red "as the crow flies" line?

Thanks Nic!

Recognizing coordinates in text contexts and making them clickable is related to the ability to generally recognize a coordinate in text form with support for the dd.ddd, dd mm.mmm, dd mm sss formats and associated embellishments like +/-, N,S,EW, °, ',"

Having this allows easier copy/paste entry of coordinates from other sources to make waypoints and corrected coordinates. Making the coordinate hot like a link lets a click trigger a menu with choices of Copy, Set as Corrected Coodinate, create related waypoint for example. I've mentioned this elsewhere but it bears repeating as several things get better with this ability. 

On 28/03/2017 at 11:26 AM, .jpeg said:

Also the red “as the crow flies” line between your location and the target. I wish there was a way to turn them off because they are only useful if you are a crow. (joke)

Welcome to Cachly B)

Having a line linking your position and the destination makes sense to me, and I've seen it used in other (non-caching) navigation apps.

You can always just back out to the main map screen and do your own navigation from there.

1 hour ago, .jpeg said:

I guess I just prefer a minimum of things covering up the map. I prefer to play Geocaching rather than "what's under the red line". Wouldn't a small arrow pointing toward the target from your current location serve the purpose just as well yet reveal more of the map?

I think this comes down to personal preference. I will make sure to make a note of this so we can evaluate the request.