New user - problems with GPX and PQ downloads

Geoboater

After using the geocaching classic app for 5 years, I was dreading its demise and discovered my strong dislike for its replacement.  This app was recommended by a cacher I met at Geowoodstock last summer and it seems to offer all I want in a geocaching app, even more than was in the classic app.  After downloading it however, two functions most important to me I seem unable to make work: 1) importing a gpx from an email, and 2) downloading a PQ.  I'm not a "techie", so talk of APIs and such mean nothing to me so please, keep any responses in layman terms.

1. I downloaded some caches into EasyGPS to make a .gpx file that I sent to my email.  I then opened the email and selected the "copy to cachly" option.  When the import GPX window comes up, I can not select any of the items listed under "import" (should I be able to?).  After giving the file a name and pressing "import", it shows 0 records.  What did I do wrong?
  2. After running a PQ and confirming the results, I navigated to the PQ download selection under "More" and it responds "no available pocket queries were found".  Again, where did I go wrong?

I'm driving across the country in less than 2 weeks and need these features to work.  Any help would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Geoboater said:

After giving the file a name and pressing "import", it shows 0 records.  What did I do wrong?

You didn't so anything wrong. It should be importing all of the caches within the GPX. Two questions. Have you looked at the contents of the GPX file to make sure it does indeed contain the caches? Could you use the "Contact Support" option in Cachly and send me the GPX to test?

5 minutes ago, Geoboater said:

After running a PQ and confirming the results, I navigated to the PQ download selection under "More" and it responds "no available pocket queries were found".  Again, where did I go wrong?

Have you made sure that on geocaching.com it says the PQ is ready for download? It needs to be in this "state" on geocaching.com for it to show up as available to download in Cachly. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about this or anything else. Welcome to Cachly! :)

33 minutes ago, Geoboater said:

I have looked at the GPX and the data is there.  I'll send you the file in a few minutes.

I have looked over and tested the GPX file. It seems the issue is the format of the data is different than many other GPX such as ones from Groundspeak, GSAK, etc. You said this is from EasyGPS. Are there various export options?

34 minutes ago, Geoboater said:

Yes, I did receive an email from geocaching stating the PQ is ready to download.

Can you try pulling down on the PQ screen to refresh it? Are you logged in with the same account that you generated the PQ with?

I tried "save as" and there are no options other than GPX.  I've used this program for over 10 years to download waypoints into my Garmin GPSr, but if it won't work with your app perhaps I need to search for another equally easy and intuitive program to  develop GPX files.

I ran 2 more PQ's and was able to download both of them.  The one I originally attempted to load was the "my finds" query, just as a test.  Perhaps that query can't be read/downloaded for some reason?

Thanks for all your quick support; unbelievably fast and greatly appreciated!

Although something I've never done with GSAK (only used for challenge cache verificatin prior to this), I made a small GPX file there and was able to successfully import it.  Since the individual geocaches have no common denomenator among them, I can't make a PQ to pull them.  I'll see if it's possible to make a list on the geocaching site, import that to GSAK, then export to GPX and import into cachly.  If the list option doesn't work, then I'll have to import each individual cache to GSAK as I did for the test file.  Same result, only slower. 

Geoboater,

I'd suggest you try this approach before manually recreating everything in GSAK.

1. Export your GPX file from EasyGPS.
  2. Create a new Database in GSAK for this list.
  3. Import the GPX file into GSAK.  (File...Load GPX...)
  4. Verify that data imported properly.
  5. In GSAK, use the Geocaching.com access menu to "Refresh Cache Data" and refresh all caches in your current database.
  6. Export GPX of updated listed.
  7. Import GPX into Cachly.

Repeat steps 5-7 as often as needed.  

The Geocaching.com access will only work for premium members due to API limitations, but you mentioned downloading PQs, so I know that you must be a premium member.

23 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

I had other reports that the my finds PQ doesn't show. This looks like a Groundspeak bug. Will report to them. 

Does the "My Finds" work via the API?  I download PQs into GSAK all the time, but the My Finds query has never shown up in the GSAK API.  I always have to download it directly from the website.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 10:09 PM, Geoboater said:

Thanks for all your quick support; unbelievably fast and greatly appreciated!

Although something I've never done with GSAK (only used for challenge cache verificatin prior to this), I made a small GPX file there and was able to successfully import it.  Since the individual geocaches have no common denomenator among them, I can't make a PQ to pull them.  I'll see if it's possible to make a list on the geocaching site, import that to GSAK, then export to GPX and import into cachly.  If the list option doesn't work, then I'll have to import each individual cache to GSAK as I did for the test file.  Same result, only slower. 

Geoboater, Cachly will import GPX files from GSAK with no problem.  I had a similar issue with GPX export from BaseCamp, and found that if I loaded a BaseCamp export into GSAK and resaved it, Cachly imported it with no trouble.  To add further praise to Cachly, I sent a Garmin BaseCamp GPX file to the developer and the next Cachly update would directly import a BaseCamp GPX without having to go through GSAK first.