Cachly 2.1 unified database

Nic Hubbard

Question

In Cachly 2.1 we will be using a unified database for all offline caches. This means that if you have the same cache in two different offline lists it really is the same cache in the database. Updating it will update that cache in all offline lists as well. 

A few things to note:

• Deleting a cache from one offline list will not remove it from others if that relationship exists. It will only be completely deleted when there are no more relationships to an offline list.
  • An upgrade process will be used to upgrade the old database to the new way of doing things.
  • Performance is massively improved over previous versions of Cachly. Lists over 50k caches can be viewed in seconds.
  • Importing GPX files will first check the database to see if those caches already exist and will not create a second copy if they do. Additional data from the GPX caches will also be merged if needed.

Any questions or comments are welcome!

12 answers to this question

Sounds great!

If we have a cache with info, updated coords, etc loaded from the unified database and you access a cache in the "live" portion of the app, is it using data from the unified database, data provided in real-time via the API or some combination? Or is the unified "offline" database just used when offline and anything "live" isn't referencing the unified database?

2 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

Or is the unified "offline" database just used when offline and anything "live" isn't referencing the unified database?

Live will always be pulling new data from the API/website. You can always save live caches to offline and it will merge the cache data if that cache already exists in the database.

I like to use iCaching to create gpx files for uploading into Cachly.  Anything in the 'my note' section of iCaching shows up in the description on Cachly (and also on my GPSr).  However, when I update that offline list in Cachly my notes are overwritten in the process.  Will v 2.1 merge the description instead of overwriting it?  

16 minutes ago, hidegoseek said:

However, when I update that offline list in Cachly my notes are overwritten in the process.  Will v 2.1 merge the description instead of overwriting it?  

Yes, it will do a merge.

Do you know why iCaching doesn't place that into a Personal Cache Note instead? Adding it to the description doesn't seem like the best idea...or is this a Cachly issue?

28 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Do you know why iCaching doesn't place that into a Personal Cache Note instead? Adding it to the description doesn't seem like the best idea...or is this a Cachly issue?

Long before Cachly I got used to 'my note' showing up in the description on my GPSr.  I don't know where else on the Garmin it would go.  Since it's a searchable field in iCaching I find it invaluable.  

8 minutes ago, rragan said:

I am ecstatic. I wanted this but never figured it was likely to happen so I never asked.  Is it SQLlite?

Cachly has always used SQLite from the beginning. But it wasn't built for performance, speed, etc.  And no unified DB.

This all changes in 2.1.