Connecting to my Garmin Oregon

cuddlefish

Just now, cuddlefish said:

Thanks for the reply. That's disappointing because that's not quite what I had in mind. Oh well.

I do not think that iOS is able to integrate in any other way that I have seen. There would need to be a specific software development kit from Garmin that Cachly could tap into. :(

This just sort of felt like there ought to be a way to do it. Short story -- I got close but not quite. 

The problem is that Apple provides no way to write to an SD card from iPhone/iPad. Reading is also limited to pictures/video files with the special adapter. So I can't go directly from the device to SD card.

I have a travel gadget that I dearly love for backing up pictures, setting up my own wifi network, watching movies off USB stick on up to 5 devices, acting a backup battery for other mobile devices, and more. This is the HooToo Tripmate: https://www.designernews.co/stories/9695-how-do-apps-like-lyft-uber-airbnb-skirt-apples-30-cut-on-each-transaction

The iPhone/Pad talk to it via a HooToo app and a wifi network created by the HooToo. From the app I can read/write images to a file system on a USB stick which gives me backup and movie streaming. But it only accepts USB stick and the Garmin only accepts SD card. I hooked an SD card reader/writer with a USB connector to the HooToo and found I was able to write a file to the SD card but it had to be an image because Apple allows multiplie apps to access the photo library but in general, files belonging to other apps and non-image files cannot be shared. 

If HooToo supported writing arbitrary file types to the storage there remains the problem of getting the file from the owning app like Cachly to the HooToo app. This is technically possible if HooToo was registered as supporting GPX type which it is not. This is work I doubt they would undertake. If somehow one could fake the file type to be an image type and HooToo supported renaming files you might be able to do it -- but here I'm grasping at straws. 

I looked at AirDrop which uses Bluetooth and Wifi to transfer files in the absence of a data connection but you would need both protocols and proprietary Apple AirDrop info to pull this off.

An interesting problem to research but I have no solution for you.

Regarding AirStash, they seem to have moved away from SD card writing in their later products in favor of USB sticks so that is also likely no longer an option.

• 3 months later...

Just saw this post, but if you're still looking for a way to do this, I use an app called Air Disk Pro.  It basically turns your iPhone into a wireless USB stick.

So you'd generate the file and save it to AirDisk.  From there, you can just browse AirDisk on your iPhone from any browser and copy the file off.

AirDisk Pro - Wireless Flash Drive

psa - I have nothing to do with the app, just thought it might help you out.

I'm unclear on how an AirDisk Pro app can get files into a Garmin. It's only an app and you would need to write GPX to an SD card. This device might work as it can transfer files from ipad/iPhone wirelessly to it and write them on an SD card. The only hitch would be if it can handle .gpx file type. If not, you have the same issue I mentioned earlier with my Tripmate. That said, the device has other nice features that might be useful to you. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQUMZRA/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza