White text on green background does not work

assankassa

Question

18 answers to this question

I think the user who started the topic is referring to the white on green text like the GC number and other info at the top. I'm referring to all the black in white text but mainly the lighter grey. It would help to have all the text darker or bold. It helps a little to brighten my screen to full but then that is a battery drainer. I agree at the top a darker color would be better if you're going to use white text. 

I've come back to the contrast issue. White text  on light green just washes out in bright sunshine in the field. I tried to compensate with various accessibility controls but they don't affect text like distance to cachen(see images)

Larger text:

Bold text:

I tried inverting colors which gives me black text but really is not satisfactory either. Colors are weird on icons. 

I manually tried to flip the white pixels to black to get a sense of what would work better for me -- crappy tool gave pixelated edges but you get the idea. 

IMG_9419.JPG

IMG_9420.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

I've always had trouble trying to work out what the size of the cache is, especially in bright light - the small circles are really hard to pick out being grey on grey.  That being said, the circles in beta18 seem to be a bit easier to read - I'm not sure if a change was made there or not.

I'd love for the coordinate to be bigger / bolder / blacker / whatever to make them more easily visible - especially when it's a corrected coordinate and you're trying to read it out to a caching companion. The tiny grey on grey is very hard to read.

I'd really love to see perhaps a config switch to turn on/off a "high contrast" display mode to give a more black and white, or a darker colour than the washed out greys.

That, along with a larger font size and less unused/white/grey space / dynamic type support / anythign to make it easier for those of us with visual impairments to see what's on the screen.

Here's some links to some similar threads:

14 hours ago, AnyMules said:

I've always had trouble trying to work out what the size of the cache is, especially in bright light - the small circles are really hard to pick out being grey on grey.  That being said, the circles in beta18 seem to be a bit easier to read - I'm not sure if a change was made there or not.

I'd love for the coordinate to be bigger / bolder / blacker / whatever to make them more easily visible - especially when it's a corrected coordinate and you're trying to read it out to a caching companion. The tiny grey on grey is very hard to read.

I'd really love to see perhaps a config switch to turn on/off a "high contrast" display mode to give a more black and white, or a darker colour than the washed out greys.

That, along with a larger font size and less unused/white/grey space / dynamic type support / anythign to make it easier for those of us with visual impairments to see what's on the screen.

Here's some links to some similar threads:

May I ask you how you enlarge the font size for, like the hint or the cache description?
I had a hint request recently and was not able to read the small text in the hint. I tried to enlarge it somehow or to zoom in, but it will not zoom (two finger stretching apart).
Is there a possibility to choose a larger font or to zoom in.

30 minutes ago, Btwchen said:

May I ask you how you enlarge the font size for, like the hint or the cache description?
I had a hint request recently and was not able to read the small text in the hint. I tried to enlarge it somehow or to zoom in, but it will not zoom (two finger stretching apart).
Is there a possibility to choose a larger font or to zoom in.

Change your iOS accessibility settings to use a larger font, then view the hint or description making sure to be on the "text" tab at the top.

Changing the size in the settings do not show any effect in cachly, but on most of the other programmes. Same thing when setting it to "bold", it effects most apps, but not cachly (the bold text is not nice to read anyway).
There is no zoom-feature in the Text area of the cache description or the hint?
There is a zoom-feature (two finger stretch) in the web-window, which is nice.
The portrait-lock/unlock to see the window in landscape mode does also not work with cachly, is that correct?

I just noticed the Source-window... i like that.

...one more thing: the hint does not have a text / web / source window.

3 minutes ago, Btwchen said:

Changing the size in the settings do not show any effect in cachly, but on most of the other programmes.

Sorry, realized it is in 3.1. Been using that version too long. :)

4 minutes ago, Btwchen said:

There is no zoom-feature in the Text area of the cache description or the hint?

No there is not.

4 minutes ago, Btwchen said:

The portrait-lock/unlock to see the window in landscape mode does also not work with cachly, is that correct?

Correct. Cachly is a portrait only app.

5 minutes ago, Btwchen said:

one more thing: the hint does not have a text / web / source window.

Hints are just plain text, so they don't need the additional options.

It's not entirely the size but more the contrast in sunlight outdoors. It works OK indoors or in low light.  To get some data, I did a screen capture from Cachly and from Looking4Cache (attached).  I extracted the colors used for the text in distance to cache:

Cachly: Background #58b392, Foreground: #fff but #f9fbf9 at edge of text

L4C: Background: #666666, Foreground #fff (but they use translucent so bg color varies some by background material). Anti-aliasing kicks in further out from the 2-3 pixel wide pure white stroke

Text size: a "5" in both images is 23px tall so same font. In L4C, they use bold so more of the character is solid white vs Cachly where anti-aliasing makes only one stroke of the character solid white.

I used an Accessibility testing tool found here: http://www.msfw.com/Services/ContrastRatioCalculator and this one: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

Using the hex numbers, Cachly gets a 2.5:1 contrast ratio while L4C gets 8.3:1. I'm not sure what point size or font the text is in but 3:1 is the lowest recommended contrast for large or bolded text.

L4CImage.png

CachlyImage.png