Archived vs disabled

rragan

Question

I don't see any visual distinction between an archived cache and a temporarily disabled one. Can you do something to make this more apparent on the map, the callout and the cache details page? Now and then I have to do something with an archived cache and I also keep some track of them as places for a new hide in our cache saturated area. 

6 answers to this question

FYI - Even though the default live search doesn't generally show Archived caches except for the random one-off Event cache archived by HQ, it could be useful in other contexts.  As one example, I have a running list of caches that have been archived but that I think may still be in place, so sometimes if I'm planning to spend the day caching in a big park, I'll save an offline list or a bookmark list of all my unfound caches in that park, and then I'll manually add in any "archived caches that may still be in place" which are in that same park, and by my adding them to the offline/bookmark list, they'll now show up on the map (even though they wouldn't show up on a live search).

I imported an archived cache. The map shows it with an X in the center of the pin. If it is a found archived cache I just see a smiley face -- maybe ought to have an X on top of it? I guess there is the general question of icon treatment when archived and when disabled. 

Just a few ideas here...

Geosphere combines a few variants of icon styles on the map that helps quickly identify most relevant properties that can overlap. The shapes are designed that they can visually overlapped and still easily discerned.

Active/Disabled/Archived: For disabled the red slashed circle appears, and it's black if archived.
DNF/Found: Yellow check mark, or blue X
Highlighted: Orange exterior outline (that's a geosphere specific flag though)
Corrected coordinate: triangular target icon in the center

Some element of each of those flags could all be applied to a pin on the map, and you can make them all out by the way they were visually designed. Very handy.  That took a lot of playtesting to hash out and finalize :)

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Just a few ideas here...

Geosphere combines a few variants of icon styles on the map that helps quickly identify most relevant properties that can overlap. The shapes are designed that they can visually overlapped and still easily discerned.

Active/Disabled/Archived: For disabled the red slashed circle appears, and it's black if archived.
DNF/Found: Yellow check mark, or blue X
Highlighted: Orange exterior outline (that's a geosphere specific flag though)
Corrected coordinate: triangular target icon in the center

Some element of each of those flags could all be applied to a pin on the map, and you can make them all out by the way they were visually designed. Very handy.  That took a lot of playtesting to hash out and finalize :)

Cachly does have all of these icon distinctions with the exception of a difference for archived or disabled.