Change pin colors

rragan

Question

I would like an option to personalize pin colors. I didn't find a key telling me all of the existing ones but they seem to be mostly different except for Wherigo and Mystery which look pretty similar. 

I don't view this as high priority but it might aid those with varying degrees of color blindness. For what it's worth, I have reassigned colors in Geosphere which has 14 choices for 13 cache types (earth is brown so that color is a good cue for an Earthcache to me). I notice also that non-cache waypoints have their own icons to distinguish them like a checkered flag for Final. Something to think about. 

7 answers to this question

Just to open up a discussion, the problem I see with this is consistency. If users are able to change the map pins to whatever colors they like, support would become difficult when viewing screenshots if all pins are different colors from what we designed them to be.

The pin colors were designed after the corresponding cache type icons, so each takes colors from that.

11 hours ago, rragan said:

Offhand I can't think how pin color in map view would be key to understanding a support problem. I'm not suggesting changing the full icon color. Can you explain how it would help resolve an issue? 

I just feel it would cause some confusion. I realize this is a personal preference thing, and I realize that if users came from Geosphere they might be used to this feature. It just isn't something that I want to make a priority in Cachly.

The pin colors are also pretty deeply integrated in Cachly, so this wouldn't be a quick and easy feature to add.

I struggle to see the pin colour difference between unknowns  and wherigo's and now highlight wherigo's so it's easy to distinguish them. The only problem with this is that you have to individual highlight them, I can't see a way to bulk select cache's you want to highlight in the app but this can be done via GSAK with user flags and import a GPX into Cachly.

4 hours ago, Oemoemenoe22 said:

Color blindness is a common handicap

I do have problems seeing the difference between the green (regular) and orange (multi)

being able to adjust pin colors to my preference would greatly improve this outstanding app!

The suggested way to do this is to use the iOS accessability feature to help. Here is some more information:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/enable-screen-filters-help-color-blindness-ios-10.html

Let me know if this helps. :)