Caches confused after a find

barefootguru

Saving offline didn't trigger the bug today.  The other actions I regularly do are to insert the Owner Name keyword, and after submitting going back to other logs before completely backing out of the cache.  I regularly switch between live caches and an offline list.  Still working on finding a consistent trigger :unsure:

• 1 month later...

This happens to me regularly it appears to be related to the previous cache icon being on screen - the solution is always to zoom in until the one I want to change to the only one visible then click and it will always then open the right cache. Note it only seems to happen when I've logged the cache to upload later.

15 minutes ago, ShammyLevva said:

This happens to me regularly it appears to be related to the previous cache icon being on screen - the solution is always to zoom in until the one I want to change to the only one visible then click and it will always then open the right cache. Note it only seems to happen when I've logged the cache to upload later.

Are you able to replicate this reliably? So far I cannot and it has been hard to track down to fix. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I also have had this happen to me on occasion since I started using Cachly (from version 1.something). It happens to me once or twice out of every 3-4 hours of continuous caching. I also cannot recreate it reliably, it just happens sometimes after I log a cache (saved for later) and go back to the map screen and try to select another cache. As previous people mentioned, I just mess with the zoom level until it lets me select the cache I want. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sure of the following.

It occurs after saving a log, not submitting one.

Once it closes the window and you view the map again what you are wanting to do is to click the next icon in the series. Now here is where the lack of repetition comes in. It is something to do with either the number of icons on screen or the proximity of the icon to the one you opened. Something that is determining what details to show in the pop up.

Whatever it is when it occurs clicking anywhere opens the last cache. Note I do not for a minute think as per original poster that it is copying the cache details. I simply think it has cached the last cache details in a variable and the click is opening the previous cache. 

The fix is to zoom right in so that only the cache you want is visible this seems to be enough to force the variable to be set to the right cache. 

To fix I'd focus on anything that stores the cache clicked, or any proximity thing to make the selection of a cache easier. Specifically anything that would be affected by a zoom limiting what cache it could be when you click on screen. 

Hope this helps. Clearly from the user groups comments it's quite a common bug. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Nic,

I created an account here just to confirm what ShammyLevva has said. I've noticed that this behaviour is occurring when saving logs - not when sending them straight away. I've not found any common variables in my experience that leads to the bug, only that it happens after I've saved a few caches for that day in a row, i.e. it doesn't occur after the first one. Perhaps if you log a few caches (saving, not sending) in a row in the same area, you'll be able to trigger the bug?

Andrew

For what it's worth, I too have experienced the problem. I'll try to keep an eye out when it happens again to see if I can replicate it. I superstitiously attributed it to my phone being nearly out of memory or having too many apps open. No real support for that thought as I didn't check my memory at the time.

P.S. Nic, if you don't recognize the handle, this is Chris Rock.  We've been chatting about my local event and the Maritime Mega.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little data to add. It happened to me three separate times over Memorial Day weekend. Twice using the live map, once using an offline list. In all three situations I saved the log rather than sending. No matter what cache I tapped after hitting Done on the log screen the information for the cache I'd just logged came up. The problem was resolved by hitting refresh.in the live map or closing and reopening the app when offline. Again in all three instances, it did not happen for the next cache.

I couldn't replicate it at will either. Hopefully the observations will help.