Map tile caching problem

wwbd

I like the new version BTW...however i did run into a problem.

I used it this weekend and I was in some areas where I had no cell data signal whatsoever. I was familiar with the location and anticipated that problem. When I used the product Geosphere, I would go ahead and scroll around the area on the map, zoom in and out, etc to cache the map tile data in case I would lose my data signal. That way I wouldn't be stuck without a map. I did the same thing with Cachly but when I lost my signal, the map just turned to a blank grid no matter what zoom level I was at. I was using the Live map vs Offline. Luckily I was with someone who had a signal so we used his map otherwise I would have been dead in the water. I thought the caching of map data was a function of iOS, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Is there some setting I need to change? What's the story here?

I should have searched the forums first. It looks like I have to go into map layers while in Offline mode and select the state I want and then I can see them in Open Street? Is that right? That's actually better than having to manually load the map data by scrolling around.

That sounds like a painful and unreliable way to get a map for offline use!

I think you've got it, there's 2 steps:

1. you tell Cachly to download (& save) the OSM map.  You only need to do this step once, and thanks to being a vector map you can download an entire state/country.

2. you can then switch to & from that offline map just like any other map.

I usually leave the offline map selected:  it's faster and saves data if I'm on cellular. I occasionally switch if I want to check satellite pics or see if another provider has better topography — if I have an Internet connection of course.

Thanks. It sounds like I just need to change my routine when venturing away from home. Do a search, save offline and make sure I have that states maps downloaded. I live in Cincinnati. That's in Ohio but at the junction of Kentucky and Indiana so it's not unusual for me to be in 3 states on one geocaching run.

The map files are now rather small for each state so it looks like for you the combined offline maps for Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana would be under 150mb and a one time (or at least very infrequent) download.  

I live on a state border and have NJ, NY, PA, CT loaded and if I travel I download the state I'll be in or cross through.  Works well enough for me. 

54 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

As stated, downloading offline maps is the way to go. Then you never have to worry about pre-loading tiles, you can just save your caches offline and go!

I have the California map downloaded, but it's considerably slower than the online maps so I only plan to use it when I don't have a data connection.  It might be due to the size of California and/or my old phone (5s 16GB).  

5 minutes ago, hidegoseek said:

I have the California map downloaded, but it's considerably slower than the online maps so I only plan to use it when I don't have a data connection.  It might be due to the size of California and/or my old phone (5s 16GB).  

The rendering speed on a 5s is currently pretty slow for high zoom levels. We are working to fix the performance of offline maps for older and newer devices.