GSAK Integration

ciarmer

I have exported my pending logs using "Export GSAK Note".  I email that TXT file.

I have tried to read that into GSAK using File/Notes/Import. I'm getting a "Lines Read: 1 Matched: 0" message. I've attempted to set the "Match Incoming Code" to GSAK.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is import the pending logs into GSAK so that GSAK modifies the "found" status of these caches. I believe that even if the "Notes" function was working, it wouldn't modify the "found" status. Is there a possibility of being able to export a GPX file from these pending logs?

In summary, two questions - I'm not sure why I'm having difficulty having GSAK read the incoming "Notes" and how can I import these pending logs as a GPX file that will actually modify the "Found" status within GSAK?

Sounds great Nic. Can you also confirm that if it were working properly, the only thing that would happen is that the notes field in GSAK would be populated? That is one issue for me. The additional issue, or question for me is how would I import my found logs into GSAK in a way to change the "Found" status in GSAK. I guess I'm also looking for a way to convert those logs to a GPX file so that they could me imported into GSAK. Thanks so much for the quick replies.

22 hours ago, ciarmer said:

Can you also confirm that if it were working properly, the only thing that would happen is that the notes field in GSAK would be populated? That is one issue for me. The additional issue, or question for me is how would I import my found logs into GSAK in a way to change the "Found" status in GSAK. I guess I'm also looking for a way to convert those logs to a GPX file so that they could me imported into GSAK. Thanks so much for the quick replies.

This feature can be used to upload the .txt file to the Field Notes page on geocaching.com: https://www.geocaching.com/my/uploadfieldnotes.aspx

As for GSAK, I don't use it all that often. The feature was developed in conjunction with a GSAK beta tester of mine and did all the testing of this feature. You should be able to import that file and then publish those as finds using GSAK.

There isn't currently a way to convert these to a GPX file. :(

Hi Nic - I played with this GSAK Note issue for a little while this evening. I believe the format of the note being produced by Cachly is incorrect, which leads to the failure of GSAK to recognize the note. The proper format for a GSAK User Note is:

<Code> [Tab] <Text note>

The format that is currently being generated by Cachly is as follows:

<Code>,<Text note>

This leads to an error.

I took a random GSAK note generated by Cachly this evening. Here is the real example of a GSAK note that contains one line that was produced by Cachly:

GC4H648,2016-12-13T02:30Z,Write note,"Cachly test note 12/12 9:30 pm"

GSAK fails to read the file containing this line. I then manually edited the line in the Cachly-generated GSAK note to change the comma after the GC code to a [Tab], the note is imported into GSAK with no problem.

Edited by ciarmer
Misspelled Nic's name.

I think there is a bit of confusion here. Cachly is exporting a GSAK Note TXT file (same type and format that Geosphere exports). It creates a Field Notes .txt file that is very similar to the .txt format that GPSr units save.

This file is to be used in the Geocaching.com access -> Publish Logs menu.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 9.50.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 9.51.15 AM.png

Does this help clear things up?

Not only does it help clear things up, it solves one of my largest issues. Now that I know where to input the text file (clearly I was importing it into the wrong place), it works perfectly. But it goes beyond just giving me a simple place to create offline logs, it also automatically modifies the "Found" status in GSAK as soon as the Cachly file is read into GSAK. Perfect!

Thanks so much, Nick for not only solving my offline logging issue but also for having the patience with me that actually led to a resolution of my GSAK integration problem!

As another Geosphere refugee, I am loving this app more each day!

5 minutes ago, ciarmer said:

Thanks so much, Nick for not only solving my offline logging issue but also for having the patience with me that actually led to a resolution of my GSAK integration problem!

As another Geosphere refugee, I am loving this app more each day!

As always, I am happy to help. Welcome to Cachly. :)

• 1 month later...

I just purchased Cachly yesterday and really like what I see.  We use GSAK extensively and want to be able to export pending logs to it.  I tried to do this using email twice, but did not received either email.  Obviously, I am doing something wrong.  I carefully checked my email address the second time and it was correct.  Would appreciate any help you can give so we can use this feature.

Thanks,

nwc_voyageur 

9 minutes ago, nwc_voyageur said:

I tried to do this using email twice, but did not received either email.  Obviously, I am doing something wrong.  I carefully checked my email address the second time and it was correct.  Would appreciate any help you can give so we can use this feature.

Cachly just uses the iOS mail feature and shows the mail interface that other apps use. I assume you have Mail setup on your device (Cachly should know if you don't)?

This likely has more to do with a mail server issue than with Cachly.

Did you check your "from" address? If you only have one address setup on your phone it is likely sending from the same account as receiving.

Thank you. I have gmail on my phone and while the messages ready to be sent, they were not sent until I opened gmail on my phone.  I have successfully transferred the data to GSAK.  One thing I found is that the date/time does not transfer into the GSAK user notes unless you have entered text when you post you log in Cachly.  But that is easy to get around.

Again, thank you for your very prompt help.  An app with loads of functionality AND great support is hard to find these days.

nwc_voyageur