Photos in Personal Notes not on iCloud Drive (Problem)

Attila_G

Hello

Another Cachly user just called me about a problem. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a solution, so I'm hoping for help here.

The user has regularly saved photos in the Personal Notes of the caches on his old iPhone 7. So far everything has always worked. Now he has a new iPhone 13 and all the iPhone data was migrated normally. When he wanted to look at a picture in Cachly on the new iPhone, it shows the number of pictures that are stored in the Personal Note, but the pictures themselves are not displayed. Also when searching in the iCloud Drive folder, none of them can be found.... (checked on the iPhone and via browser). I first thought that in that case the pictures on the iPhone 7 were only stored locally (although the iCloud settings appear quite normal).

Unfortunately, they are now suddenly not displayed on the iPhone 7 either. He then tried to reattach a photo in Personal Notes on the iPhone 7 to a different cache. Even that suddenly doesn't work anymore. The error message that appears says: "iCloud does not appear to be configured. Make sure iCloud for Cachly as well as iCloud Drive are enabled." (error message translated from German to English).

Somehow we are clueless right now what is going on. On the one hand, it's about the loss of many attached spoiler images, which disappeared somewhere (1. priority). And on the other hand, the function can not be used normally even on the new iPhone 13.

Does anyone have an idea where to look for these pictures (on the iPhone 7)? Or otherwise any idea what could be set wrong there in connection with iCloud Drive? As I said, in the iCloud settings, iCloud Drive is active normally, as it is on Cachly. 

Thanks!  

On 11/6/2021 at 2:58 AM, Attila_G said:

Somehow we are clueless right now what is going on. On the one hand, it's about the loss of many attached spoiler images, which disappeared somewhere (1. priority).

Did you turn off iCloud and iCloud Drive on the iPhone 7?

And on the other hand, the function can not be used normally even on the new iPhone 13.

Yes. Your photos will still be saved on iCloud, even if your new phone doesn't see them yet. Have you made sure to turn on iCloud and iCloud Drive, including making sure that Cachly's use of iCloud is turned on?

Does anyone have an idea where to look for these pictures (on the iPhone 7)? Or otherwise any idea what could be set wrong there in connection with iCloud Drive? As I said, in the iCloud settings, iCloud Drive is active normally, as it is on Cachly. 

You can verify that the files are still there by going to www.icloud.com and logging in, then going to iCloud Drive > Cachly > Photos. There you will see the GC codes of all the caches that have images, and the images are inside of the folders.

Hello Nic

We double checked all the settings again (both on iPhone7, and on iPhone13). The situation is as follows:

On 11/7/2021 at 10:21 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

Did you turn off iCloud and iCloud Drive on the iPhone 7?

iCloud, iCloud Drive and Cachly are enabled on both iPhones (nothing was ever changed).

IMG_3913.thumb.PNG.c27e27b460088abaad6288ca168f5a06.PNG    IMG_3914.thumb.PNG.408595befb5a33b507527e9d5fd90560.PNG

(Sorry, only in german available...)

Yes. Your photos will still be saved on iCloud, even if your new phone doesn't see them yet. Have you made sure to turn on iCloud and iCloud Drive, including making sure that Cachly's use of iCloud is turned on?

Is there another iCloud setting in the Cachly app? I have only found the above settings in iOS.

When I access my friend's iCloud via Safari, I only see these folders under iCloud Drive:

130354275_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-09um16_15_07.thumb.png.3408faf41d7dfad65d4807ecf8ace4e2.png

But when I look at my own configuration in iCloud Drive, there is a "Cachly" folder with all photos in it. This folder is completely missing the case of my friend! It was also definitely not deleted manually. Then it would have to be in the "deleted items", which is not the case.

You can verify that the files are still there by going to www.icloud.com and logging in, then going to iCloud Drive > Cachly > Photos. There you will see the GC codes of all the caches that have images, and the images are inside of the folders.

This is exactly not the case. No Cachly folder, no photos. 

When transferring data from iPhone7 to the new iPhone, all Cachly settings (lists, markers, waypoints etc.) were transferred correctly. Only the pictures attached in the personal notes have disappeared since then… (on both iPhones)!

And as mentioned above, it is so that this function is also no longer possible. For example, if you attach a photo now on iPhone13 (in Personal Notes), you see that an image should be attached, but it can't be accessed. And in iCloud no Cachly folder appears either. For me, I can do the exact same thing on my iPhone and both the Photo shows up correctly and the Cachly+Photos folders are created on iCloud.

There definitely seems to be a problem here since the migration. 

Btw: We always talk about the latest Cachly and iOS version.

I don't know if there was a backup created before the migration. But what I have heard in the meantime is this: My friend's wife also switched from an iPhone7 to an iPhone13 at the same time. So identical constellation, only of course with its own iCloud account. For her, everything worked without any problems, as it should be.

In the meantime, we also did a test where my friend logged out of iCloud on the iPhone13 and then logged in again. Unfortunately, that didn't do anything either. Ditto with Cachly in the iCloud settings de- and re-enable.

Here are some more screenshot to show what Cachly displays. First a photo was attached to a Personal Note and then an attempt was made to display the photo.

On the first screenshot you see... nothing. No photo. 
Screenshot 2 shows the content of the "Photos" folder with a lot of empty folder. In all these should be at least one image.
Screenshot 3 shows the next higher level, the Cachly folder. Also there 0 objects in the photos. 
I assume that the info for these 3 levels is stored somewhere in the Cachly DB, because in iCloud Drive these folders do not exist.

1.thumb.jpg.993d6d5723b5cdd3187620317a175bc3.jpg2.thumb.jpg.13919212df65c69a46cf3d5f9ee98362.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8e133187fc40b29b44c6c7473f8bbbb7.jpg

Now it gets interesting. If you try to go one level higher from screenshot 3 (into the iCloud Drive folder), you only get two error messages. From here you can only quit Cachly completely. Which plugin is dead...?

4.thumb.jpg.2eed0d457efc5ea41a4baef815cf4105.jpg5.thumb.jpg.0561246edc707c2f05d24587ead09fbd.jpg

If you tap on „ Durchsuchen“ (Browse) in the lower right corner of screenshot 1-3, the correct content of iCloud Drive is displayed. Here you can also see that the Cachly folder does not exist.

6.thumb.jpg.a807ac903a802e711a839060588a7f12.jpg

I would now be interested in how to get Cachly to forget the (presumably) internally stored information about the non-existent folders and start over. Is it possible to delete/reset something in the Cachly settings? Or does my friend have to completely delete the Cachly app from the iPhone and reload it from the App Store?  In that case I guess all other user settings would be lost as well....

The loss of all spoiler images is of course very annoying, but a way must be found to use Cachly again in a normal way.

14 minutes ago, Attila_G said:

Now it gets interesting. If you try to go one level higher from screenshot 3 (into the iCloud Drive folder), you only get two error messages. From here you can only quit Cachly completely. Which plugin is dead...?

I have never heard of this. At this point, you are accessing the iOS Files, so this is outside of Cachly itself, so not sure what this error means. Something strange is going on with iOS and iCloud Drive.

It sounds to me like this issue it outside of Cachly and it something that iOS has caused during the upgrade. I would contact Apple Support and ask them about what can be done about this issue, and why iCloud files didn't transfer and are missing for an iPhone migration.

As a last resort, I would also check to see if there is a backup in iCloud and see if you can restore from that: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

Sorry about this happening!