Loading a GPX file from other than Dropbox

Sailaboat

• 4 weeks later...

From the iPhone, if I download a cache from a browser page or zip file from GC.com (eg MyFinds), iOS these days places the gpx file into “Finds” (no longer given a choice where to save to). When I tap the gpx file in “Finds”, it tries to import into Cachly but the spinning wheel never ends and file is not imported.

Is there a solution for this issue?

Dropbox is the only import source offered by Cachly (since iTunes has no practical applications tbh), but files from the phone cannot be saved to Dropbox. From GC/browser the user is not given an option to email the file, which I am aware does import ok if you email a gpx file to yourself for example.

L4C, which I am in process of changing to Cachly from, offers a “Pick Source” option which includes “Finds” from the iPhone. The gpx files import into L4C without problem, so the problem appears to be Cachly related rather than iOS.

18 minutes ago, PlasmaWave said:

Dropbox is the only import source offered by Cachly

Any app or place in iOS that provides a "Share" option for a GPX or .zip of a GPX will be able to share the file with Cachly which allows import. 

18 minutes ago, PlasmaWave said:

From the iPhone, if I download a cache from a browser page or zip file from GC.com (eg MyFinds), iOS these days places the gpx file into “Finds” (no longer given a choice where to save to). When I tap the gpx file in “Finds”, it tries to import into Cachly but the spinning wheel never ends and file is not imported.

Have you made sure to download the file locally first in Files? Once you do that you can use the Share option to send to Cachly. You can share the .zip that you downloaded from geocaching.com.

Thanks for quick reply Nic ... for example I tap the “Download” link on a browser cache page. It asks “do you want to download” ... answer yes .... gpx file appears in “Files” (apologise for earlier typo saying “Finds”!). I tap the gpx file in “Files”, it opens the gpx file to show the source code but I can tap the share icon and choose Cachly from the list. Cachly asked where to import to so chose an offline list and a spinning arrow displays “processing”. The file is never imported and the spinning arrow continues until I “cancel” the action.

Odd thing is, if I download say MyFinds zip gpx file from GC into “Files”, then long press the zip I’m offered a share/upload option ... select share, choose Cachly and an offline list, then the zip imports successfully. Tried the same long press, share, then Cachly - with the single gpx file and import is not successful. Seems to be single gpx issue for me.

Similar process followed in L4C imports the cache data without problem using same iPhone and same gpx file from “Files”.

My Cachly version is 6.1.12 (1) and iPhone 7 Plus iOS v14.4.2

IMG_E4472[1].JPG

IMG_E4471[1].JPG

IMG_E4470[1].JPG

Edited by PlasmaWave
Screen shots added

• 5 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:49 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

I have a fix for this in testing right now. Will get 6.1.13 released once we do more testing.

Nic,

If the fix mentioned was implimented, then it is still not working for my set-up. I just downloaded GC2A9HP gpx from Safari into "Files" then long pressed the file, tapped share, chose Cachly and tried to import into a new off-line list. Only difference from the screen shots I posted earlier is the on-screen message states "Importing" rather than "Processing" ... the 'wheel' is not spinning now. I do manage to import individual caches via the other means you mentioned, but it would be good if this worked too.

I tried importing the same individual cache gpx into L4C and it worked fine, so this appears to be a Cahly related issue.

My set-up is: iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 15.0 and Cachly version 7.0.5

Thanks ...

12 hours ago, PlasmaWave said:

I just downloaded GC2A9HP gpx from Safari into "Files" then long pressed the file, tapped share, chose Cachly and tried to import into a new off-line list. Only difference from the screen shots I posted earlier is the on-screen message states "Importing" rather than "Processing" ... the 'wheel' is not spinning now. I do manage to import individual caches via the other means you mentioned, but it would be good if this worked too.

I just tested these exact steps, and they worked correctly for me and GC2A9HP was imported into Cachly. Not sure how else to replicate this issue...

Thanks Nic ... I tried rebooting my phone but the downloaded gpx from "Files" app still sticks at the import step in Cachly (screen shot No#1). If I long press the gpx file in the "Files" app, then tap "Compress", the zipped version (see screen shots No#2 & #3) imports perfectly ok.

I tried importing several browser generated gpx files into Cachly using my old iPhone6 and mini-iPad, but both are stuck with iOS 12.5.5 so the gpx opens directly into your chosen app rather than downloading into a "Files" app ... both successfully imported the gpx direct from a browser.

Set-up: iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 15.0 and Cachly version 7.0.5

3. Zipped version imports normally.jpg

2. Compress gpx file within 'Files'.jpg

1. Downloaded gpx file fails to import.jpg

• 1 month later...