Apple Watch 2

Anteaus

Question

Greetings Nic! I recently purchased an Apple Watch 2 (and gave my wife my old one) so that I could get a wearble with built in GPS. I figured the geocaching app would still work, but apparently after an OS update it no longer does. So... apparently they'll have to re-write their app and don't have any intention to soon. Perfect time for you to get in with a cachly app for the Watch 2!!! ;) Keep up the great work! Cachly is my go to app!!

12 answers to this question

6 hours ago, TeamPlys said:

I will tune in ....

I am sure that my Apple watch 2 / iPhone 7 will love Cachly.

/BirgerĀ 

It all depends on what advantages it can give usĀ for caching. With the series 1 watch, it was little more than a novelty to build a watch app, as it would have just been better for users to pull out their phone to cache.Ā 

If the series 2 provides a better caching experience than series 1, then I will for sure develop it. But, if it doesn't, I would rather spend the time to build better features into the iOS app than make a watch app that doesn't really help anyone.

I want to +1 this feature request. Ā I live in a cold-weather area, and often have to wear gloves. Ā I'm also required by my employer to have my iPhone locked, so I have to remove my glove often to use the TouchID sensor. Ā When I'm close to GZ, I'm constantly having to glove-on / glove-off. Ā Having the option to leave the phone in my pocket while searching, and just glance at my watch would be a huge advantage. Ā It's the only reason I ever used the official app (and it's true, it didn't work terribly well) - I have no doubt that you could make actually useful.

I've been thinking about this some more. I have the Series 0 watch (no GPS), so there's no way for the watch to know direction. I don't know if the Series 2 has a compass, or has to inferĀ direction from movement (which isn't ideal during those times when you have to walk backwards, or perform a Monty Python Silly Walk or Modern Dance performance while searching, you know, to distract the muggles).

Even if direction isn't available, I would still love to have an indication of range. I'm imagining a UI with a circle that shrinks in size the closer I get, along with text showing the distance in numbers. Probably green ;)

I also have the watch 2, I wish i could use Cachly to vibrate when you are in the vicinity (5-10 meters?) of the selected cache. Then I could focus more on enjoying the view then watching my phone to not miss the cache location :). Could also be useful to quickly select the next nearest cache on your bookmark list and get notified in a similar way when your near. Great for trails (Pokemon go for the watch uses a similar method to notify whenever something is near)

Since there is no compass, actual navigation will need to rely on the phone. (like apple map does).

6 hours ago, Hordo said:

I wish i could use Cachly to vibrate when you are in the vicinity (5-10 meters?) of the selected cache.

This could be done without a Watch app and just using local notifications which would be sent to your watch. I will make a note of this on our feature list.