Images grayed out despite using downloaded PQ with full data & Downloaded Images

GC_Diver

Hello,

I am not sure if this is a feature I don't fully understand or a bug, and I wasn't able to find a topic that fully covered this.

The problem:

I like to create offline lists of my pocket queries by downloading them with 'Full Cache Data' and 'Download Images' turned on. The app then shows that it downloads all the cache data and logs, followed by the download of images.

After all downloads are complete (i.e. showing >500MB of images in the 'Storage' -> 'Cache Images' Section), a cache that has logged images only shows however the image description, but the images itself are gray (See screenshot) and some of them have a thick green box around them. To actually see the image, I have to tap on it and then it will be downloaded (again), which makes it unusable off the grid.

I would expect that with the fully downloaded PQ I would have already all images on my device and that no additional download would be necessary.

Is there something wrong, or is there a setting that might interfere here?

The basics:

Iphone 11 Pro Max with FW 14.2

Cachly version 6.1.5 (2)

Full Cache Data is turned OFF in settings for Live Search

Thanks for the help and thanks for creating and maintaining such a great app!!!

IMG_2797.jpg

It's the same for different PQs for different regions, though, actually in about 10% of cases at least one image is being present.

Even though it shouldn't have an effect on the downloaded PQs, I have also tried downloading them again with 'Full Cache Data turned ON for Live Search', but no change.

What does the green box around some images indicate?

If its not the app or the GC servers, perhaps it could be restrictions of my WIFI connection.

6 minutes ago, GC_Diver said:

I have created a new PQ with 4 caches located in a 500km radius and which consists of in total about 40 images. 

Downloaded it via mobile data, but still the same, some caches have all images grayed out, some are able to present about 10 to 15% of images.

Can you provide a few of the GC codes that aren't loading images? I want to create a PQ that includes those.

Just a few examples from different PQs

GC6VGM0 (Showing all images).

GC8M421 (None of 2 images loaded)

GC31BHV (1 out of 3 loaded)

GC890JF (6/14)

GC8DJ3K (1/2)

GC5P8HH (7/24)

GC5GFCP (1/4)

I have just reinstalled the app, but that didn't help either.

In fact, it seems that the installation of offline maps also seems to be broken. Before and after the reinstall I have tried to update the Premium Offline maps, which seem to download fine, but show total nonsense once installed.

IMG_2808.PNG

15 hours ago, GC_Diver said:

I have just reinstalled the app, but that didn't help either.

This is never a good idea as you will loose all data.

I do have a fix for the initial bug. I will be submitting it to Apple today for approval.

15 hours ago, GC_Diver said:

Before and after the reinstall I have tried to update the Premium Offline maps, which seem to download fine, but show total nonsense once installed.

What specific map are you loading?

6 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

This is never a good idea as you will loose all data.

That is fine, I backed up everything, most things will be synchronized via the GC account anyway and the remaining settings can be easily adjusted again.

I do have a fix for the initial bug. I will be submitting it to Apple today for approval.

Wow, that is great. Hope it will solve the issue. Thank you very much

What specific map are you loading?

I loaded 'Australia', and the entire country shows errors with the latest release on the server being from 01/12/2020. Though, specifically I am interested in the 'Queensland' state. So it would be also possible to just load that tinier state map. However, I just noticed that all Australian state maps are there apart from Queensland! Very odd.

2 minutes ago, GC_Diver said:

I loaded 'Australia', and the entire country shows errors with the latest release on the server being from 01/12/2020. Though, specifically I am interested in the 'Queensland' state. So it would be also possible to just load that tinier state map. However, I just noticed that all Australian state maps are there apart from Queensland! Very odd.

There were issues with generating the Australia maps recently and I restarted the generation process yesterday. Those maps should be done in a few days and I will post back where when it is complete. Sorry about the inconvenience. 

2 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Cachly 6.1.6 has been released and should show up soon on the App Store. Let me know if this update fixes the issue that you posted about in this thread. Thanks.

Whohoo. It's working now. I have installed the latest app version and downloaded all PQs again. The downloaded images are appearing now as intended.

Looking forward to the map updates. Thanks

On 12/10/2020 at 3:21 PM, GC_Diver said:

I loaded 'Australia', and the entire country shows errors with the latest release on the server being from 01/12/2020. Though, specifically I am interested in the 'Queensland' state.

Our Premium Offline maps of Australia have been regenerated and should be working correctly now. Please let me know if you see any additional issues.

• 2 months later...

Hello, it unfortunately appears that the issue with images being presented only as grey placeholder despite being downloaded during the 'Full Cache Data + Download Images' saving process is happening again. This occurs for about 25% of the images when saving any Pocket Queries or Lists.

The basics:

Iphone 11 Pro Max with iOS 14.4

Cachly version 6.1.12 (1)

54 minutes ago, GC_Diver said:

This occurs for about 25% of the images when saving any Pocket Queries or Lists.

The bug, as I have tracked it down, is due to the geocaching.com image server being very slow, and the image downloads timing out. Do you have any specific PQs that you can replicate this with?

• 2 weeks later...