Automatically update caches on a map

bearpanda

Question

4 answers to this question

The official app has the benefit of using an API that we cannot. It can load 500 caches at a time for the area around the map. This isn't a complaint, but just a fact. Because we cannot do this (no API like this for partner apps) and because of the API limits that users have on how many caches they can load per day and for each request, it would be a poor user experience. So it isn't something that we have planned right now.

17 hours ago, bearpanda said:

I just realized - c:geo on Android uses this feature too even though it's not an official app. How could they implement it if it's not available for partner apps?

c:geo hacks the geocaching.com and uses screen scraping. They basically illegally use the methods from the website and make them work in their app. Which, HQ does not allow. 

On 12/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

The official app has the benefit of using an API that we cannot. It can load 500 caches at a time for the area around the map. This isn't a complaint, but just a fact. Because we cannot do this (no API like this for partner apps) and because of the API limits that users have on how many caches they can load per day and for each request, it would be a poor user experience. So it isn't something that we have planned right now.

Per my comment in another similar user question, L4C has a 'live rolling' feature that I found very useful when driving ... good to know what caches are close to your route. So the map would be set to follow my location, with caches appearing and disappearing as the map moved. I hadn't realised there was a TP partner limit on number of caches BUT never experienced any problem when using the L4C feature on a journey. It would be really useful to have this as a selectable feature in Cachly.