Apple watch question/Map question

Jello Jeep

1) Noticed while out using the watch, at on cache, left the phone in the truck, had watch on. Started trekking towards GZ.. Using the "compass" feature in cachly, noticed the distance never changed as I walked...   I know the watch has gps and compass, so does it only derive the information from the phone? Is there a way to use the watch as stand alone?

2) Using Ipad in car noticed "course up" function changes every time I manually reorient the map, or go back to the description or compass. I ALWAYS want to use it in course up. Is there a way to lock that on ? I must hit that little button a hundred times a day if I am out LOL.. Frustrating...

3) Also noticed at times yesterday, course up just plain would not work. Tried to think of what was different when it was and wasnt working... I believe the issue happens, when you select a cache and navigate to it, and using the ... menu at top, choose apple maps to get road guidance to it.. Seems as if when the maps app is open, the course up function fails in cachly..   Seems as if closing the maps app (running in background) fixed the issue... Just letting you know..

Thanks!

Warren

2 hours ago, Jello Jeep said:

Is there a way to use the watch as stand alone?

Yes, the watch app uses GPS/Location services from your watch, it it has GPS. Is yours at least a Series 3 watch?

Using Ipad in car noticed "course up" function changes every time I manually reorient the map, or go back to the description or compass. I ALWAYS want to use it in course up. Is there a way to lock that on ? I must hit that little button a hundred times a day if I am out LOL.. Frustrating...

There isn't a way to lock this mode, but it has been a requested feature. What map are you using? Going to the compass or descriptions should not take you out of this mode.

Seems as if when the maps app is open, the course up function fails in cachly..   Seems as if closing the maps app (running in background) fixed the issue... Just letting you know..

I wasn't able to replicate this. Let me know what map type you are using so I can try and replicate that on my devices.

51 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Yes, the watch app uses GPS/Location services from your watch, it it has GPS. Is yours at least a Series 3 watch?

Series 5

51 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

There isn't a way to lock this mode, but it has been a requested feature. What map are you using? Going to the compass or descriptions should not take you out of this mode. 

Apple hybrid.. you were right, compass didnt move it, putting your finger on the screen to pan or zoom does do ti... Some way to prevent this would be a Godsend!

I wasn't able to replicate this. Let me know what map type you are using so I can try and replicate that on my devices.

Apple Hybrid

Haven't gotten #3 to happen again...

Have used the watch stand alone, but still have to put it through its paces to say one way or another..

It did dawn on me why the iPad wouldn't switch orientations while I was setting there fooling with it, it doesn't have a "real" compass, so won't change until you move a bit and it interpolates it...

24 minutes ago, Jello Jeep said:

It did dawn on me why the iPad wouldn't switch orientations while I was setting there fooling with it, it doesn't have a "real" compass, so won't change until you move a bit and it interpolates it...

Ah, yes. I am surprised that it works at all. It must be using the GPS course data.